Decorators caulk

Piggies2023

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

I'm having a handyman do some work in my bedroom & he will using some decorators caulk, not a lot, and I'm not decorating, it's just to fix something. The guinea pigs are in my bedroom. Does anyone know how long caulk stinks for? And how long they would need to be out the room? I have not used it in a long time so i can't remember how much it smells. I don't want to cancel, but if it's an issue for hours I may have to.

Hi

I'm having a handyman do some work in my bedroom & he will using some decorators caulk, not a lot, and I'm not decorating, it's just to fix something. The guinea pigs are in my bedroom. Does anyone know how long caulk stinks for? And how long they would need to be out the room? I have not used it in a long time so i can't remember how much it smells. I don't want to cancel, but if it's an issue for hours I may have to.

Hi

If possible remove your piggies from your room and keep them elsewhere. If needed, they can stay in a cat carrier. A bathtub or shower cubicle also make a suitable short term holding pen for several hours. If you really can't, please cover the cage with a sheet so the piggies will feel more comfy and secure.

Ask your handiman to please work with open windows.

That should do the trick.

I've used caulk quite often but not for a while, I don't remember it stinking. I would be more concerned and move them because of any paint smells or unusual noise disturbance in their room.

I had my windows replaced back in January, and when the caulk was being used the guinea pigs hung out in the bathroom. More because of the noise and banging and so on, the caulk was way down on my list of possible problems.

Thank you all. I could put them in the living room in a carrier, they won't like it mind, I have no hallway, the living room is the hallway. But the bathroom is having more work to it than my bedroom. I could ask him to not do my bedroom for now if they are going to have to sit in a carrier for hours.

My bathroom has no windows so wasn't having work done, that's why I had them in there. Anywhere out of the way in the house would work.

My bathroom has no windows so wasn't having work done, that's why I had them in there. Anywhere out of the way in the house would work.
Would they have to be out for hours though with the smell? Job isn't long at all. But I'm worried about the chemicals. I do not have anywhere quiet for them to sit otherwise and no space for cage elsewhere. So literally would have to sit in a carrier. I live in a very small bungalow.

I left them there til the guy was gone, so I could extend the cage back out and then had them straight back in.

I had my windows replaced back in January, and when the caulk was being used the guinea pigs hung out in the bathroom. More because of the noise and banging and so on, the caulk was way down on my list of possible problems.
Was that caulk or silicone, silicone smells quite strong which is what they use with PVC windows. Caulk is chalky filler.

Was that caulk or silicone, silicone smells quite strong which is what they use with PVC windows. Caulk is chalky filler.

Might have been both actually. I remember he had both out, I have no idea how much he used of each because I spent the entire time trying to avoid him, hah.

Would they have to be out for hours though with the smell? Job isn't long at all. But I'm worried about the chemicals. I do not have anywhere quiet for them to sit otherwise and no space for cage elsewhere. So literally would have to sit in a carrier. I live in a very small bungalow.

No, the caulking is not dangerous; a thorough bit of airing once the man has gone and your piggies are safe to move back in.

They are however better off in a carrier while you are having things done in their room, mainly because of the noises and smells.

Back