• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Deciding on euthanasia in ER

Tylerspigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys.
My male is in the ER. I brought him in at 1am on saturday for laboured breathing and weight loss along with not eating that day. He has been there around 30 hours now. I’m afraid I’ll have to euthanize him to stop his pain but I know I’m not ready to lose him. His cage mate has also stopped eating without him so I am syringe feeding.

Yesterday he got x-rays. There was so much buildup in his lungs that they couldn’t even see his heart. They’re treating as if it’s pneumonia but can’t rule out heart conditions. I am now in debt to my parents by minimum a couple thousand dollars at minimum. I was quoted 3000-4000. They also found parasites after his fecal float having shown up clear twice in the past few months when I have brought him in for recurring soft stools with no answers. Apparently parasites are intermittent egg layers and sometimes the oocytes are sometimes too young to be detected. Idk why I never thought of that because I 100% knew that, I just never put the two thoughts together.

As of last night his respiratory rate got as low as 36 and this morning his weight was charted at 888g. I brought him in at 962g. His normal weight was around 1050-1100 grams.

A condition to me borrowing money from my parents was that I cannot get anymore guinea pigs. I also now have no money for if his cagemate gets sick since I also spent the couple thousand I had saved. I’ve cried so much in the past 30 hours and it feels so stupid to do especially at the vets since he is ‘only’ a guinea pig. But he was my first guinea pig and he is only 3.5 years old. I brought him in at the first signs of illness and there hadn’t been any signs of respiratory issues until the night I brought him in.
He is on a whole list of medications and I think I’m going to have to tell them to euthanize him when they call me this morning. I don’t know how I’ll say it since I can’t get any words out right now just thinking about it. From the little I’ve heard his health is declining despite many efforts. He is on antibiotics, probiotics, antiparasitics, pain meds, GI meds, fluids, oxygen, nebulizer multiple times a day, and hand feed.

Hey guys.
My male is in the ER. I brought him in at 1am on saturday for laboured breathing and weight loss along with not eating that day. He has been there around 30 hours now. I’m afraid I’ll have to euthanize him to stop his pain but I know I’m not ready to lose him. His cage mate has also stopped eating without him so I am syringe feeding.

Yesterday he got x-rays. There was so much buildup in his lungs that they couldn’t even see his heart. They’re treating as if it’s pneumonia but can’t rule out heart conditions. I am now in debt to my parents by minimum a couple thousand dollars at minimum. I was quoted 3000-4000. They also found parasites after his fecal float having shown up clear twice in the past few months when I have brought him in for recurring soft stools with no answers. Apparently parasites are intermittent egg layers and sometimes the oocytes are sometimes too young to be detected. Idk why I never thought of that because I 100% knew that, I just never put the two thoughts together.

As of last night his respiratory rate got as low as 36 and this morning his weight was charted at 888g. I brought him in at 962g. His normal weight was around 1050-1100 grams.

A condition to me borrowing money from my parents was that I cannot get anymore guinea pigs. I also now have no money for if his cagemate gets sick since I also spent the couple thousand I had saved. I’ve cried so much in the past 30 hours and it feels so stupid to do especially at the vets since he is ‘only’ a guinea pig. But he was my first guinea pig and he is only 3.5 years old. I brought him in at the first signs of illness and there hadn’t been any signs of respiratory issues until the night I brought him in.
He is on a whole list of medications and I think I’m going to have to tell them to euthanize him when they call me this morning. I don’t know how I’ll say it since I can’t get any words out right now just thinking about it. From the little I’ve heard his health is declining despite many efforts. He is on antibiotics, probiotics, antiparasitics, pain meds, GI meds, fluids, oxygen, nebulizer multiple times a day, and hand feed.

BIG HUGS

Please do not feel guilty for making absolutely the right decision for your boy and for putting his welfare and quality of life first before your own upset of losing a very hard fought battle; it is one of the most gut wrenching experiences you can have as an owner. It wouldn't be fair to keep him alive when your and your vets' best efforts have not been ble to turn things around; there is nothing wrong with your heart even if you find it difficult to express. You have tried your very best and have thrown your bathtub at it but if it is not to be, then please accept that. The decision is entirely within your rights as an owner and is one that the treating vet will accept in view of developments - on a humanitarian as well as a financial basis.

I hope that the always very difficult decision about when to call it shots in this guide below will help you to clear your mind a little and give you the the strength to speak. The guide doesn't make for easy reading (and it was definitely not easy to write it) but it takes a close and in-depth look at all the points that can really throw owners in order to enable them to make their own decision if not with an easier heart but at least with an easier mind.
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Please also don't feel like you are betraying the companion. Save up enough that you can afford basic care in terms of a round of antibiotics, painkillers and euthanasia but in the end it is never about a long life but a good life. Guinea pigs don't have concept for an average life span; they measure their lives in happy todays and good are. As long as you give your piggies those you are not failing them in any way even if you cannot afford sky rocketing vet treatment. It is your love and daily normal care that really count, not the bitter end that inevitably comes but all too often not in a nice way.

Try to be kind with yourself in the coming days and weeks. Your own grieving process has already started with a bang; hence why you are feeling so overwhelmed.
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

So sorry that you have to make such a difficult decision.
It’s the last gift of love we can give our piggies.
Holding you in my heart ❤️

Back