• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Death of guinea pig

CocoandGingerPiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

Coco recently passed away from unknown causes, she died very quickly with no warning symptoms or time to take her to the vet (we live in a very rural area).

i still have one remaining guinea pig however. she and coco were bonded since birth and i’m sure ginger is missing her. Would Ginger benefit from getting another friend? or even two? or would they not be able to bond? Coco and Ginger went through a rough patch a few months ago but worked it out eventually with the upgrade to a bigger cage. Ginger is by no means a big pig so i would be worried she would get bullied by the other pig(s?)

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Physical size has nothing to do with their ability to bond - she won’t get bullied just because she is smaller. It all comes down to character compatibility.
She absolutely would benefit from having a new friend - piggies should always be kept with a companion and get lonely if kept by themselves.

The guide below explains how to carry out a bonding.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

The guide below explains what does and does not work when it comes to forming groups.
An already bonded pair who are older won’t necessarily accept a single piggy into their pairing.
Bonding your sow with babies can have a better chance of success.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Whether you get her one or two new friends is going to depend on your cage size.

Cage Size Guide

I'm very sorry that you lost Coco. 💔
I'm sure that Ginger would benefit from a new companion if you find a suitable piggy friend.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure that Ginger would love to have another companion when you are ready... being on the smaller side has nothing to do with whether she will get along with another pig, who's the boss is not determined by size or age, but personality!

sorry for the late reply, my bunny had an ongoing medical emergency and thus i was too distracted to look for a new piggy friend.

In the meantime, Ginger has been outgoing and sociable with all the humans of the house. I definitely think piggies need friends… but what if Ginger genuinely seems…happier… now that she a lone piggy?

Theoretically would that work out or should i try to bond her again?

thanks😊

I'm sorry to hear your bunny had a medical emergency, I hope they're OK (please look after yourself too, these things can take a big toll on you without even realising it).
I've been in a very similar situation to you, and would recommend reading this guide: Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Ultimately, I would recommend trying to find Ginger a new friend(s) (ideally by going piggy dating through a reputable rescue) before considering other options in the hopefully unlikely event you struggle to bond her.

Best of luck with everything :)

:agr:
Piggies are pragmatic and get on with life, their survival instinct kicks in but it doesn’t mean they are happier alone.

I hope your rabbit is ok

okay, i think the general consensus is that i should get her a new friend.

what pairing would you recommend? i.e two new females/another female and a neutered boar/neutered boar/another female?

we are open to having more than 2 piggies now with our bigger cage 😊

okay, i think the general consensus is that i should get her a new friend.

what pairing would you recommend? i.e two new females/another female and a neutered boar/neutered boar/another female?

we are open to having more than 2 piggies now with our bigger cage 😊

It all comes down to character compatibility - the piggies have to accept each other, their sex and ages are less important.

A bonded pair don’t always take kindly to having another piggy enter their pairing though so if you were to take on an already bonded pair and then try to bond your piggy with them, always have a back up plan for living arrangements in case they don’t accept her and they need to live in two separate cages.

Its best to contact a rescue/shelter to get their help in finding compatible piggies

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Back