Death of a cage mate

Morganann125

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve had two Guinea pigs for almost 7 years now. One of them unfortunately passed away 3 days ago. I’ve read online that you should get your pig a new friend. The brother of the pig who passed away does not seem extremely upset and I don’t know if it’s the right thing to do to get another pig. I feel that he won’t get along with anyone else and he’s pretty old now. If he seemed depressed I wouldn’t hesitate but he seems to like getting attention from humans and I have plenty of stuff in his cage to keep him occupied. I love him dearly but it doesn’t feel right to get another pig this late in his life and I don’t want to continue a chain of Guinea pigs forever. What should I do?

I’ve had two Guinea pigs for almost 7 years now. One of them unfortunately passed away 3 days ago. I’ve read online that you should get your pig a new friend. The brother of the pig who passed away does not seem extremely upset and I don’t know if it’s the right thing to do to get another pig. I feel that he won’t get along with anyone else and he’s pretty old now. If he seemed depressed I wouldn’t hesitate but he seems to like getting attention from humans and I have plenty of stuff in his cage to keep him occupied. I love him dearly but it doesn’t feel right to get another pig this late in his life and I don’t want to continue a chain of Guinea pigs forever. What should I do?

Hi and welcome

HUGS

I am so sorry for your loss. Getting to the end of the chain is always difficult, especially with oldies. Well done for getting your boys to such a respectable age.

Please take the time to read the guide link below I hope that it will help you. It includes chapters on the challenges specific to bereaved singles but also contains a chapter to help you how spot if your boy struggles with being on his own and you may want to review the situation.
Some piggies are fine, others struggle; there is no definite right or wrong, just very much a balancing act between needs and practicalities. The guide is non-judgmental.
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Back