Dealing With The Hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellbell

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,
So here in Australia it's starting to really warm up. On hot days I'm putting my girls inside and so far we haven't had any days that have been crazy hot. It's only getting hotter though, and I was wondering if anyone has used puppy cooling pads or anything similar?. The cooling pads are activated by weight, so I'm wondering if a guinea pig will weigh enough to even activate it. I was considering cold packs, but ill be at work all day and they melt pretty quick.

Hello,
So here in Australia it's starting to really warm up. On hot days I'm putting my girls inside and so far we haven't had any days that have been crazy hot. It's only getting hotter though, and I was wondering if anyone has used puppy cooling pads or anything similar?. The cooling pads are activated by weight, so I'm wondering if a guinea pig will weigh enough to even activate it. I was considering cold packs, but ill be at work all day and they melt pretty quick.
Unfortunately I'm not going to be much help. Both pooch & piggies live indoors with air con on, even when I'm not there. The RSPCA sells those cooling pads so perhaps you could call them to ask if piggy weight is good enough to activate those things. 1300 787 743 They also sell this type of evaporative mat which might be more suitable for piggy use.https://www.worldforpets.com.au/products/16601

My/our piggies always lived indoors. However another thing to think of is filtered light and reflective light this too can cause havoc! If you can use blinds or even the use of towels to block out sunlight/heat. Be careful using heavy towels etc I always dampened down any cloth/towels I used so I wasn't creating a 'hot box' effect.
Be practical think how you would feel! Think outside the square think of the 'what if' situations :-)
The links for hot weather are fantastic please please apply this to all your little ones :-)

My pigs live outdoors so they have to bare the heat but I do use tiles in their cage and often see them lying on that. Although I use the tiles all year round (under the tiles is wire flooring) I do find they use it the most in summer.

- Your fellow person that lives in Australia but is not Australian :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back