Dead guinea pig,Depressed guinea single guinea pig

Jasminejay21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hello everyone ! :) one of my male guinea pigs died suddenly at 2 years old this Thursday (13.06.24) with my other male in their cage while it happened, we are having the funeral today but I’m not sure what the best thing to do is for the alive guinea pig, I’m not an expert on bonding a New Guinea pig and in all honestly it’s all been a tad traumatic as I’m still grieving and upset Beethoven never lived more of an expected life for an indoor/outdoor guinea pig but I’m not sure what the best thing is for Frankenstein at the moment, he has not been eating much and not very active and I understand the impact of him also not having a cage mate can contribute to his depression. My feelings aside, for his own benefit I would even consider giving him to someone who has extensive experience with guinea pig boars and knows how to introduce properly with their other guinea pigs (we are located in London) I’m just uncertain what to do in this situation and want the best for him, any advice or suggestions would be amazing

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8618.webp
    IMG_8618.webp
    53.8 KB · Views: 1
I am so sorry for your loss, especially so traumatically.
A lot will depend on how your single piggy copes.
Frankenstein will be grieving but normally the survival instinct kicks in and he will be ready for a new companion before you.
If he appears to be pining then he will need company much sooner.

Don’t worry about bonding as the forum guides are excellent and there will be a lot of support for you.
There is the option of a rescue actually doing the bonding for you which is much easier.

If Frankenstein is neutered you have the option of sows as well.

Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

There are some helpful threads on the forum regarding bereavement but as I am still in the Stone Age with technology I don’t know how to link them for you

Back