Dead Frog In My Hay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lossy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was just giving the pigs some extra hat before bed, I grabbed into the bag and felt something hard thought it was just clumped together or a piece of card had a good look and it was a 5 inch long squashed dead frog, OmG I feel sick! The whole street must have heard me screaming! And i chucked it across the room in shock so I don't know where it is now! I'm so squeamish with things like that. It was a large bag of hay from home bargains, which I'd never bought before! Won't be going there again! :(( ooooh I feel ILL :(

Me too ! :yikes:

Hay is a natural product so, it is not abnormal to find things like this in it sometimes. It wouldn't put me off buying hay from the same place again.

I've found a mouse before it's not uncommon. It's better than loads of small bugs, I'd have a dead thing over millions of small black bugs :vom:

Saying that the alternative is not finding anything... :)). I can imagine you got a fright, I did to first time it happened.

To make it worse I can't find it this morning, my dog can be pretty gross, I just hope he's not stashed it somewhere, like under a sofa cushion. I'll be in for a nice surprise later

i get frogs on my garden sometimes,very small ones ,occasionally fully grown. someone near must have a water feature or similar. one ran over my foot at night once,made me jump! also when kept rabbits had one making a noise,my rabbit thumper stamped for ages . found one frog down drain hole too,set him free over fence.

:vom: Yuk. I've found a few things in hay over the years. Years ago I found a dead mouse. And also bits of plastic, hair ribbons. I suppose it's just got caught up in the baling machine. Poor wee frog. If it was my dog he would have eaten the frog. :oops:

To make it worse I can't find it this morning, my dog can be pretty gross, I just hope he's not stashed it somewhere, like under a sofa cushion. I'll be in for a nice surprise later

I hope he hasn't had the frog as a snack :oops:

I'm with @flintstones on this one - I'd rather have a big frog or mouse (whole) than hay mites or bugs. But I can imagine your shock.

Eww!
I have never found anything in hay apart from twigs but I have a question:
What does everyone do when you find a dead thing in the hay? Do you bin the bag of hay or do you pull out whatever you found and just keep using it?

I want to know just in case I ever find something! :)

Eww!
I have never found anything in hay apart from twigs but I have a question:
What does everyone do when you find a dead thing in the hay? Do you bin the bag of hay or do you pull out whatever you found and just keep using it?

I want to know just in case I ever find something! :)
I'm guilty of just pulling out the offending item and using the hay. Lol. (Unless it was something poisonous then I wouldn't use the hay.) Lol.

Oh I'm not the only one then! I once found a dried up flat frog in one of my bags. Found large bird bones with some feathers still attached (as there was a little bit of skin and flesh too) in another. I actually took a picture of that! I didn't use that particular one and brought it back to the supplier for swapping!
These had come from a local field, bagged up and sold through our local pet shop, but I don't really fancy using them any more.....
I buy Lunnuns and Pillow Wad now and have yet to come across any unfortunate additions x

That's pretty gross ! Most I've ever found in hay was a prickly/ thorney plant, hope you take it back ! Not sure I'd Carrie on useing it with a frog havering been fementig in it, ewwww lol many your dog ate it ? O.0

It's not so bad if the frog is dried...... but I tend to err on the cautious side with dead animal bits.

Hmm, I haven't come across a dead animal yet, but I have found a dried toadstool of some type, quite large pieces of wood (large enough to be worth saving for the fire), lots of moss, a few feathers, and quite a few pieces of bright blue binder twine. I do wonder what will turn up in the hay, and sort through it quite carefully! I'm sure I'd screech if I did find a mouse or a frog, and would go running for hubby to rescue me, lol!

What a surprise... :blink:
I never found any dead animal (but I did find some feathers every now and then), but I was always afraid of finding something... especially spiders, as I'm terrified of them.

I once found a dead squashed rat in a bag of hay :( The bag smelt revolting when we opened it up. We took it back to the range and although we insisted the manager didn't open the bag to stink the shop out, he still did! Anyway, we were just grateful for a refund and free bag of hay although I now have to check the bag throughly before giving any to my girlies x

Still haven't found it, my dog is too small to eat it I think, he would just throw it about playing then hide it, I will often find particularly "tasty treats" under my pillow or in a slipper. I'm not usually a drama queen at all but this has really given me the quivers. It's the first time I've bought cheaper hay, I assumed all would go through some sort of process to illuminate things like that happening as surely something really harmful or poisonous could just end up in there and you might not notice giving it to your pigs. I think I'll chuck it and stick with the Hay experts!

I am not reading this thread... there is going to be a spider story mentioned and I will never sleep again :))

I've found an ear before but couldn't tell if it was rabbit or fox(incomplete and a funny colour). I carried on using the hay.

Oh yuck! I once found a gigantic dead grasshopper the size of my thumb... that's as gross as it ever got for me, thankfully!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back