• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Daphne

Jesse2005

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys so I have a cute little Peruvian guinea pig called Daphne, she’s a sweetheart who’s pampered and loved. About 2 months ago she started having belly issues and showed a lot of distress over night so we took her to an emergency vet who gave her some medication. At the time we noticed a scab on her head but the vet said it was already healed over and after a while on the meds she was back to a good weight and happy, unfortunately she then started to lose weight and had the runs again with the stomach issues, this time we continued on doing what the vet told us and she better now and the other day while I was checking her over as I usually do I noticed a little white patch on her head. Turns out the scab didn’t heal over and now is a pus kinda colour and crusty, I think it looks like an infection but I’m not sure, we’re taking her to the vet as soon as we can get an appointment as she is not stressed right now or showing any signs of pain and she’s eating but I was wondering if any of yall recognise this as an infection? I can’t upload an image but it basically looks like a popped zit full of pus

Hi guys so I have a cute little Peruvian guinea pig called Daphne, she’s a sweetheart who’s pampered and loved. About 2 months ago she started having belly issues and showed a lot of distress over night so we took her to an emergency vet who gave her some medication. At the time we noticed a scab on her head but the vet said it was already healed over and after a while on the meds she was back to a good weight and happy, unfortunately she then started to lose weight and had the runs again with the stomach issues, this time we continued on doing what the vet told us and she better now and the other day while I was checking her over as I usually do I noticed a little white patch on her head. Turns out the scab didn’t heal over and now is a pus kinda colour and crusty, I think it looks like an infection but I’m not sure, we’re taking her to the vet as soon as we can get an appointment as she is not stressed right now or showing any signs of pain and she’s eating but I was wondering if any of yall recognise this as an infection? I can’t upload an image but it basically looks like a popped zit full of pus

Hi

Without a picture it is a bit difficult to guess. It could be a burst abscess and it should in an case be seen by a vet.

PS:
Here is our information on digestive problems. If they persist/recur, your vet may want to test for germs.

Hi

Without a picture it is a bit difficult to guess. It could be a burst abscess and it should in an case be seen by a vet.

PS:
Here is our information on digestive problems. If they persist/recur, your vet may want to test for germs.

Thank you yeah we’re defo taking her to a vet as for the stomach issues we’ve been back and forth between the vet and we slowly changed her diet over time but she didn’t particularly change she goes up and down with it we give her some urgent care when she needs it since we don’t want her losing weight, I’m curious if the stomach problems are caused by the abrasion as I know stress on the body can affect a guinea pigs stomach very easy, I’m gonna explain it all to our vet and see what they say but there’s nothing about her diet or enclosure that should suggest stomach issues and her pen mate latte she’s compelled fine she’s like a tank she’s the healthiest guinea pig you’ll ever see 😭😭

Thank you yeah we’re defo taking her to a vet as for the stomach issues we’ve been back and forth between the vet and we slowly changed her diet over time but she didn’t particularly change she goes up and down with it we give her some urgent care when she needs it since we don’t want her losing weight, I’m curious if the stomach problems are caused by the abrasion as I know stress on the body can affect a guinea pigs stomach very easy, I’m gonna explain it all to our vet and see what they say but there’s nothing about her diet or enclosure that should suggest stomach issues and her pen mate latte she’s compelled fine she’s like a tank she’s the healthiest guinea pig you’ll ever see 😭😭

No, there is no connection whatsoever between the wound on the head and her tummy trouble.

Here is our comprehensive syringe feeding guide. Feeding support during illness is absolutely crucial.

More information on diarrhea.
Guinea Lynx :: Diarrhea

Back