Dangers of heat pads

• Thread starter Thread starter Racheylcg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Racheylcg

My piggies are in the garage and although it is a bit arer in there it is still cold.
So, I want to get some heat pads to keep them warm at night.
But, my sister thinks that every time I put them in, change them, etc. , it will make a temperature change that could cause health problems.Also, she that they could get too hot from lying on them.
Is she right? Are they a good idea?

I Have been thinking about this myself, but I think it is a gradual change in temp so you arent going straight from hot to cold the pad cools down. I was thinking the same with heating the shed but if I put a heater in there now and warmed them up then switched it off the change would be quite dramatic and even giving short bursts could be a bad idea I think. They have kind of acclimatised to it now.

dazie said:
I Have been thinking about this myself, but I think it is a gradual change in temp so you arent going straight from hot to cold the pad cools down. I was thinking the same with heating the shed but if I put a heater in there now and warmed them up then switched it off the change would be quite dramatic and even giving short bursts could be a bad idea I think. They have kind of acclimatised to it now.

I agree with Dazie its a gradual change they are not hot one minute and cold the next its gradual its not too hot for them i use the fleece cover on mine and pop it in so it warms up the hutches i dont think any of mine actually lay on top of it.

My shed is insulated and i have curtains at the hutch doors which also is covered with fleece and a sleeping bag over the top with a gap at the side for ventilation. When i go in in the morning at breakfast time they always feel warm. :smitten:

Heat Pads are also not very hot, they give off a very gentle heat and as long as you have an area where the piggies can get away if they get too hot then there should be no problems.
Becky

What about when I take the heat pads out and refill it? Wont that be a big temperature change for them (and when I put it back in) ?

No, because the pad will have cooled down. My heating is on all the time at the mo because as Dazie said it would be too dramatic to change it and I hate the cold :)

lindsay7 said:
[My shed is insulated and i have curtains at the hutch doors which also is covered with fleece and a sleeping bag over the top with a gap at the side for ventilation. When i go in in the morning at breakfast time they always feel warm. :smitten:

OMG That sounds idyllic! I guess there's not enough room for a 5' 3" middle aged, slightly plump lady in there? No? Oh well, worth a try! But hey! What lucky piggies!

karenrgpr said:
My heating is on all the time at the mo because as Dazie said it would be too dramatic to change it and I hate the cold :)

Mine is on all the time too in the shed, it is insulated too with thermal foil it is toastie in our shed I might move in ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back