dangerous fleece?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
i’ve just seen a post on facebook about how it’s dangerous keeping piggies on fleece in this hot weather cause its an insulator and i’m not freaking out?! is it true i need to swap back to woodshavings during the hotter months?!

I know plenty of people who use fleece during the summer. Just make sure the room they are in isn’t too hot and that they have their cooling aliments
thankyou! honestly started freaking out reading the comments calling people bad owners for keeping pigs on fleece in this heat! we are doing everything we can to keep it cool, iv got ice pods in currently (granted in fleece, still coming through cold just not as much) but they just aren’t interested! i’m hoping this means they aren’t feeling too hot!

The only time I use fleece is in the summer!
A single layer isn’t going to make them hot.

You should be reassured that they are ignoring the ice pods - it means they are not feeling hot

Mine are on fleece, I have never noticed any issue with this in summer, if not especially in the summer.
If your girls are not feeling the need to lay by their bottle, then it is likely they are fine as they are.
You can always get a thermometer to hang on their cage/in the room, if that would bring you some peace of mind.

I would urge you to be careful with guinea pig facebook pages, they always seem to be filled with... people I do not want to associate with.
I have found many share alarming (and un-useful) tips and tricks. I prefer to stick to places like this forum for my piggie info ;)

i’ve just seen a post on facebook about how it’s dangerous keeping piggies on fleece in this hot weather cause its an insulator and i’m not freaking out?! is it true i need to swap back to woodshavings during the hotter months?!

If they are concerned about the insulation properties of fleece, they will have to ditch hay as well, that is an effective insulator too...

Wood shavings would be pretty warm if they snuggled down in them too! If the room is hot I would remove any fleece cosies, tunnels etc even though most piggies if hot would remove themselves. My cages have log tunnels and step stools in to give them somewhere to lie without overheating themselves.
I would stay away from facebook, just come here for sensible advice.

one lady who claimed she is a rescue

I know of no actual rescue that would refuse a home based on that criteria - and honestly if they did, it's probably not a rescue I'd want to adopt from anyway. Meanwhile the goblins are sleeping in their fleece and on their fleece in the one sunbeam escaping into their room at present. They could move. I have moved them. They keep moving right back, who am I to argue?

Any bedding we use isn't just there to pick up poop and urine, it's used because it's a very good insulator too. And insulating works both ways - both to keep warm things warm and to keep cool things cool.

I know of no actual rescue that would refuse a home based on that criteria - and honestly if they did, it's probably not a rescue I'd want to adopt from anyway. Meanwhile the goblins are sleeping in their fleece and on their fleece in the one sunbeam escaping into their room at present. They could move. I have moved them. They keep moving right back, who am I to argue?

Any bedding we use isn't just there to pick up poop and urine, it's used because it's a very good insulator too. And insulating works both ways - both to keep warm things warm and to keep cool things cool.
i thought the exact same!

thanks x

Fleece is too warm? As opposed to what? All standard guinea pig beddings are equally warm or warmer. A pig standing belly-deep in shavings is much more insulated than a pig standing on fleece, with air freely moving around its feet.

Pigs shed heat through their ears, so the crucial thing is the air temperature, not what kind of bedding they're on.

Mine have the choice between paper bedding and fleece, and I can't say I've noticed any change in their behaviour (beyond avoiding kipping in fleece tunnels) in hot weather. We are blessed to have a shaded, north-facing piggy (/living) room, but it does still get warm enough that I'd expect to see a change in preference if fleece was causing them discomfort. 👍🏻

Also a year-round fleece user with my two boys. We've never had any issues. I have fleece underneath my pigloos, and if the boys decide it's too warm, they have no problem turtle-shelling the whole things away!

I cam across a ‘Rescue’ that said guinea pigs must never be given lettuce

I am also a year round fleece user and have honestly never heard such nonsense.
Unless your guinea pig is seriously ill and has mobility issues then they will just move to a cooler place. I always offer a cool pod (frozen water bottle in an old ski sock) and a tile, and Oreo would still always choose a fleece tunnel to lay in no matter what the temperature.
As long as the ambient temperature is reasonable they will use their natural instincts to make sure they don't overheat.
Things to worry about are when the room temperature itself reaches a level where their own cooling system can't compensate.

Such alarmist nonsense is one of the main reasons I left all FB guinea pig groups years ago.
These just make worried owners even more anxious with their unsubstantiated and ridiculous advice.

Back