• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

dandruff?

• Thread starter Thread starter lizz79
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lizz79

Hi uve just had the piggys our for the floor time and i thought as i pop them back in their cage id give them an extra brush. And Dora has got dandruff which ive never seen on her before so I'm worried. Shes also got a scab on the middle of her back which came out while i was brushing but ive checked her over and cant find any more sores.( this could have been from bickering as shes been quite extra bossy last couple of days . Ive bathed the area with cooled boiled water . So i checked the others and loula is quite drandruffy as well ( they are both shelties but i keep their hair fairly short) Should i be worried? is this a sign of anything starting? :( :'( Any advice please the only good thing i can think of is at least itsfriday tomorrow n vets are open... :(

Hi Lizz,

The same thing happened to my Sheltie and he had the dandruff and scabbed looking area on his back. Turned out to be mites, not sure on what type of mites as vet didn't say but he gave Cuzzy 3 injections spaced over 10 days each and now he is as right as rain.

Hope they are ok,

Louise
x

Liz please please keep a close eye my tilly has been through the mill this last few days, although I think its fungal, go on the gourgeous guineas site and look at the info on mites etc and see if the symptoms match. I went to the vets and had mine ivomeced and i will need to do all the rest so please keep a close eye I really hope it isnt :'(

Gorgeous Guineas

If she were mine I would give her a CocoNeem Melt shampooed off with Manuka and Neem shampoo. It could be mites and fungal but definitely sounds fungal. If the Melt doesn't clear it a course of Ivermectin (oral) would be good, day one and day ten.

Hi Karen,

Sorry to butt in but are fungal infections catching? Cuzzy had very similar and the vet said mites but upon doing research to me it seems fungal but my other 2 didn't get it!

Thanks!

Louise
:)

karenrgpr said:
Gorgeous Guineas

If she were mine I would give her a CocoNeem Melt shampooed off with Manuka and Neem shampoo. It could be mites and fungal but definitely sounds fungal. If the Melt doesn't clear it a course of Ivermectin (oral) would be good, day one and day ten.

Hi karen going to go and buy these now.. How often should i bath them and how long will it be before you notice it isnt working and the Ivermectin is needed. Sorry for all the questions liz :)

Hiya,

My piggies got a fungal infection and i got the coconeem melt and manuka and neem shampoo. It works great! Within one wash it sorted Spice and Honeys problem out. If the problem persists after a couple of washes, i'd take them to the vets!
www.gorgeousguineas.co.uk
It has some good tips etc, and it also has an identifaction bit where you can tell whether your piggies got fungal or mites!

spice and honeys mummy said:
Hiya,

My piggies got a fungal infection and i got the coconeem melt and manuka and neem shampoo. It works great! Within one wash it sorted Spice and Honeys problem out. If the problem persists after a couple of washes, i'd take them to the vets!
www.gorgeousguineas.co.uk
It has some good tips etc, and it also has an identifaction bit where you can tell whether your piggies got fungal or mites!
Thanks ...ive been so worried I'm going to try this n if not we are all off to the vets . thanks liz

After reading the info on GG I am now convinced we had fungal inside of mites. Ah well we are sorted now. I hope your wee ones get better soon Liz. Looks like we both caught it early!
Good luck!

Louise
:)

Yes its catching, though I don't seperate mine, they've probably caught it already if they're going to. All instructions re bathing etc are sent with the products. When I've had pigs with both I usually see a slight inmprovement but its not all gone, how long really depends on how severe the infestation/condition is. Hair regrowth really doesn't take that long at all- a few wheeks.
Louise: they may have had fungal and mite?

Re the products working, I would contact Chrissie on this :)

Could have been Karen. Ah well, guess I'll never know. Cuzzy is fine now although I did seperate and now can't get him back with my other two boars! But he is healthy and happy, he even popcorns to the hoover being on! 98)

karenrgpr said:
Gorgeous Guineas

I have just ordered some manuka and neem shampoo but not the melt. Do I need to use the melt for it to be effective or is the shampoo ok on its own?

[/quote]
I have just ordered some manuka and neem shampoo but not the melt. Do I need to use the melt for it to be effective or is the shampoo ok on its own?
[/quote]

The shampoo may be OK on its own, it depends how bad things are, the Melt loosens all the crusty skin and dead skin. Use the shampoo and if things don't improve maybe you need a Melt?

Well i ordered the shamppo n the melt so ill let you know what happens !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back