• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

dandruff?

• Thread starter Thread starter cavy love
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavy love

hi you
my little one peony seemed to have loads of little white specs in her fur today. could this be dandruff? ?

I dont no.It probably is but it doesnt harm them (i dont think? :|) might be time you bathed her 88)

My piggy Jeremy has dandruff. I also noticed tonight that he has a tiny scab behind one ear, so I gave him a good examination (much to his disgust) and found another tiny one on his side, so it looks like he might have mites. I will take him to the vets and ask them about the dandruff too. Will let you know what they say.

Yes it does sound liike dandruff.The best shampoos to use are from Gorgeous Guineas.They are excellent,contain no chemicals to harm the piggies and they are very affective against mite and fungal infestations.Not expensive either and yoy receive them within 2-3 days of your order.

The baby shampoo you mention is not reccomended because it contains too many chemicals which could be harmful.Gorgeous Guineas products are far better.They are based on Peter Gurneys oil treatments and are chemical free.I use them for my piggies as ,I think,do most of the members of the forum.

If you are unsure which shampoo to buy,email Chrissie for advise,she is very friendly and helpful.

katiep said:
I use Johnsons Small Animal Shampoo on mine - does anyone else use this and is the Gorgeous Guineas stuff better?

I would say Gorgeous Guineas shampoo is the best you can buy - if you email the owner (forgot her name ::)) she will recommend a suitable one to you :)

ok everyone thanks! :) will bath her with GG probably, might e-mail Chrisse, and i would like to know what the vet says about your piggie too, katiep please

Ooh, OK, will get some Gorgeous Guines stuff, maybe the Johnsons is exacerbating Jeremy's dandruff?

Will let you all know what the vey says about Jeremy and a piggy First Aid kit!

The CocoNeem Melts are very good for Fungal probs, quick and effective and the skin stays clearer for longer (at least that what I found :) ).
This could also be Lice (Static), Lice N' Easy is very good for ridding Lice- Maybe a CocoNeem Melt followed by Lice N' Easy Shampoo, but I would email Chrissie and discuss it with her as the others have said.

[email protected]
Gorgeous Guineas

i've looked on the GG website and have seen that the symptoms are slightly like a fungal prob.-i.e dandruff, and hair comes out easily and has white stuff on the ends. i tried to look at her skin, and she seemed in a lot of discomfort, could she be in pain and does it sound like fungal?

Yes this does sound fungal.The condition is not actually painful as such but the irritation can be intense.Have you ordered anything from Chrissie?.She has melts and shampoos that will help get rid of the fungus.Her orders normally come in about 2 days.In the meantime to ease the irritation go to a chemist and get a tube of Caneston cream.This is for fungal infections in humans.Massage it in to the worst affected area 3 times a day.

i haven't ordered anything yet, as i don't have much money, but i will be trying to get some very soon, thanks for the tip about the canasten. :)

Canesten is good but only works on localised areas. If you're unable to order from GG, Nizoral shampoo that you can buy from any chemist/pharmacy works well on fungal infections.

katiep how did you get on at the vets? how are your piggies, i hope they're alright. :)

A small bit of dandruff is nothing to be worry about but if it gets to the ponit when you can rub their coats and it goes flying then it probably is early signs of mites or lice etc as their skin is irritated and they are scratching excessively.

Keep an eye on them and I hope all goes well O0

cavy love said:
katiep how did you get on at the vets? how are your piggies, i hope they're alright. :)

Hello,
Well I took grumpy boy to the vets this evening - he does have mites, poor chubster, and he yowled when he had his injection. He also had his claws clipped and made some very angry noises and tried his best to wriggle out of it, and much to his disgust, he had his bottom checked! (all clean and in order!)
I've taken the hay out of his cage and cleaned it (apart from the Timothy in his hay rack) and he is now flopped on a tea towel on top of his carefresh!

I am going to get some Gorgeous Guines shampoo, but I was so flustered at the vets I forgot to ask about a piggy first aid kit! (it was stifling, the vet was sweating, Jeremy was yowling like a cat and wriggling like an eel). I will ask when I take him back for his 2nd jab. :)

Yep told you happened to me too. I never knew they could make such a noise until they had their injections. High pitched defening squeal with their ears flapping u and down...sort of sweet.

Jeremy wasn't as loud as Tiger, my long-haired piggy - I have NEVER heard such an ear-splitting shriek!

Jeremy was more outraged than scared! He sounded like an angry cat :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back