Dandruff 😖

Nchou

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering v if someone could help. I am new to the world of guinea pigs. I have 2 boys 8 weeks old. Teddy guinea pigs. I have had them a week and noticed one has dandruff? I clean them daily and bedding is changed once a week. I haven’t bathed them yet...
I am a total clean freak and wanted to avoid any skin problems so I decided to keep them indoors. They are happy and held daily....
Any idea why this might be and what I can do to get rid of it? 🥺 thanks so much x

Hi, I was wondering v if someone could help. I am new to the world of guinea pigs. I have 2 boys 8 weeks old. Teddy guinea pigs. I have had them a week and noticed one has dandruff? I clean them daily and bedding is changed once a week. I haven’t bathed them yet...
I am a total clean freak and wanted to avoid any skin problems so I decided to keep them indoors. They are happy and held daily....
Any idea why this might be and what I can do to get rid of it? 🥺 thanks so much x

Hi and welcome!

Could you please post a picture? Teddies are unfortunately the breed most prone to breed specific skin problems but this can only be diagnosed by default. In the latter case there is very little you can do about it - but first we need to exclude all the possible causes that require treatment.

Please be aware that too frequent bathing and disturbing the skin microbiome will rather exacerbate the problem instead of curing it. Regular bathing is no longer recommended for that reason.

Back