• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

dallas has a lump

• Thread starter Thread starter willowflower
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willowflower

hi not been on here for a while had a lot on my plate with family stuff but i really need some advice.
i have 3 piggies iowa, dallas and gideon
it's dallas i'm worried about he's got a lump on his back that looks like a peanut m&m if you know what i mean?
i had him at vet and he said guinea pigs are prone to these lumps and bumps when they get older there non-malignant tumours that means non cancer right? and that if the bump wasn't attatched to anything i had nothing to worry about does that sound like normal advice i trust my vet he's saved gideons life a few times it's just i'm panicing i just heard the word tumour
any advice would be great thanks

My three year old boar Vladimir is a bit lumpy. He also has a pea-sized lump on his back. My vet has lanced it once (to establish what it was) and a load of muck came out. It's just a cyst that's not attached to anything in particular and it doesn't bother him. Guinea pigs are a bit cysty sometimes, and most of the time it's nothing to worry about. If you can gently pinch it and it doesn't feel attached underneath, it's probably just a cyst. :)

edit - oh and yes, non malignant means non cancerous. ;)

Sebaceous Cysts should be cleaned out and they will usually not recurr though I have had a couple of pigs that need them cleaning regularly. I wouldn't leave a cyst because they can get huge and leave a crater that then needs to heal :)

As PP says has your vet 'stuck a sterile needle' in to see whats in there?

I have a pig with a 'lump' thats been there for at least 2 years and is fine :) I don't like the generalising of piggies being prone to lumps- it sounds like a 'nothing we can do' attitude but I may have read it wrong as you said you trust your vet :)

yeah he's proded him with a needle and nothing came out he also sent a bit away (biopsy) thats how i know it's non malignant i can move it around if that makes sense isn't attatched to anything it's just under the skin it just looks horrible dallas doesn't seem to mind at all i was just worried incase it turns cancerous can they do that?
my vet is really good he helped gideon through his heart problems and his immune system scare so i do trust him it just seem odd to leave it

I *think* if he's taken a biopsy and it's come back non malignant, then it'll stay that way (a more experienced member needs to confirm this for me). It sounds very much to me like a cyst, just like what my Vladdy has. If it's not getting bigger or bothering him, then it should be fine. I occasionally check Vlad's cyst and it's much the same as it's been for years.

Toothpaste stuff comes out of Sebaceous Cysts and pus from Abscesses :)
I would stop worrying then and just keep an eye on it :)

thank you i phoned my vet this morning and asked him to clear it up for me as i have worried all weekend and it is a cyst which apparently are quite common but it's nothing to worry about just keep an eye and see if it gets bigger which he doubts it will so i can rest a bit easier now but thank you for the advice

i did my home work on guinea pigs and lumps...the vets found Xavier's lump on Thursday just gone :embarrassed: gave him antibiotics and things...told me it was just a swelling and if i gave him this vitamin food he'd get better...anyway took him back on Saturday and well he'd eaten a little bit of food but was still worried...so a different vet told me to keep an eye on him, maybe contemplate an xray but at £70 she wouldn't recommend it.

i took him back today.

my decision was based on alot of things first he was really weak, he'd wasted away quickly and he wasn't happy, also he couldn't do his usual things- he didn't have the energy to eat, or even sit on his tube and watch me. i couldn't bear to see him like that and even though if i pushed him to eat he would- he didn't want to. so...i am now guinea pig less...and i hate it. I'm home alone for hours each day i work days my mum works evenings and he used to keep me company. i thought it would just be a harmless lump but the vet suspected it was something worse. make sure your vet is honest with u, the first vet i saw said one thing the second said another. :'( Xavier was under a year old...brought from sea pets, i liked him because he was scruffy and because no one else wanted him :'( I've already called up a private breeder who mainly breeds abyssinanians (excuse the spelling) so I'll maybe pick up 2 or 3 brothers sometime this month.

Xavier will always be my favorite guinea pig i just wish the first vet had been honest with me. he was my first guinea pig and to a degree its put me off, but I'll give it another go. i think i always knew something was up with Xavier- lol he used to bite me well nibble me more towards the end- i just wish i could of had him longer than 5 months :'( :'(

oh i'm so sorry i lost my very first pig after only 6 months i know how it feels my vet is very honest with me when gideon was having all his problems he warned me that he had a less than 30 % chance of survival but thankfully gideon is a battler
i'm much less worried as my vet talked me through everything he even offered to remove the lump but as dallas is 5 i thought it wasn't worth the risk so i'll just keep an eye on it he's still eating like a horse and still bossing everyone around and seems totally unfazed by the whole thing

good luck dallas, hoping the lump stays the size and little dallas keeps bossing everyone around. so gald you vet talked you through everything now if only we could find a vet like that we'd be the happiest people in the world. i know people tell you not to worry but you wouldn't be human if you stopped worrying. hugs and cuddles to you and dallas. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

am glad he's going to be ok hun.

i just hope my new babies dont get ill untill they're old! a woman in my team has a guinea who is 8! lol and he just gets left in the hutch outside :'( i would rescue him but i couldnt face the heartache of worrying if he'll die too!

god i'm a soppy thing!

well this lady must be doing something right if her piggy is 8 years old. a lady from an auction site here in australia had a piggy till it was 12. maybe at 8 years old the poor thing has a bad heart or something. though if it were mine it would be inside here with me where i could watch it and spend time with it. and you're NOT soppy you are a loving caring person! hugs and cuddles to you and your babies and you go you good thing dallas! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

i'll take pics soon but i've got 2 new introductions to make...

we have nameless 4month old fluffy tan and white male...who is brother to nameless 4 month old escapee around my office tan and white brother who has long hair on him bum!

they are both amazingly beautiful...as were their brothers, mum, dad, sister and brothers from another litter!

its very strange seeing a tan bum sticking out of what used to be xaviers home...xavier was chocolate/caramel coloured.

the non fluffy one is hiding in the tube and the fluffy one is hiding behind his new house...hope they like me!

yeah vets are a bit hit or a miss i had to look around for ages to find my vet but he's always gave me good advice so far

for darcy and bingly i intend on finding a decent vet before it becomes an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back