Daily veggies

Pip79

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering what veggies you feed your piggies? Favourites? How often?
Wanting to do the best for them but getting mixed messages trying to research so I thought I'd ask you lovely peeps.

I give lettuce, pepper and/or coriander and cucumber daily. I also try to make sure they have green beans. I rarely feed them anything else now. Last week I tried them on courgette which they ate! So that will be included every so often.

Have a look at the feeding guide below. You can give the staples then mix/match other veg.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Mine love pepper, coriander, broccoli and parsley. Some sites say parsley is fine every day others say not. Poppy loves tomato too but that is only a special treat every so often.

Red pepper and baby sweetcorn are firm favourites with my two. They also love lettuce and coriander - as well all the foods that cant be given too often like kale, broccoli stems, parsley and mint.

Green beans are also a huge favourite, though they are a favourite of mine too so they just get the odd one or two from each pack i buy.

Parsley is high in calcium so shouldn’t be fed more than once a week. Broccoli can also cause bloating when fed too much. Same goes for cabbage.

Mine get lettuce, coriander, bell pepper and cucumber daily. They’ll get a green beans a few times a week but anything else is added in rotation and/or infrequently due to sugars, calcium or the risk of causing bloat

Hello. My two have peppers, cucumber, lettuce, green beans, coriander, grass and celery daily.

I feed peppers, cucumber, green beans, coriander and little gem lettuce daily. They get mini sweet corn every other day and things like broccoli as a treat no more than once a week

I just looked up about celery - it is too high in calcium for every day. 2 to 3 times a week, one sixth of a stalk which is probably why i stopped buying it - none of us humans like it in our house.

I just looked up about celery - it is too high in calcium for every day. 2 to 3 times a week, one sixth of a stalk which is probably why i stopped buying it - none of us humans like it in our house.
Thanks for that! I must have read it was safe somewhere. 🤦🏻‍♀️

It sticks in my head i think as my benson had to go on a low calcium diet after being diagnosed with bladder sludge - but benson did get very, very close to his 7th birthday, despite a predominance of celery in his diet - and it wasnt even his bladder that stopped him in the end. He also loved his parsley too; it really is a wonder he didnt get lots of kidney stones but it was just the sludge he had

I give them pepper, cucumber, tomatoes (they love it), radishes. I give them brocoli not too much but every day so I might stop it. As they are new too me, I try different stuffs to see what they like. My mum brought me dandelions from her garden but I didn't give them yet, I'm scared it's not dandelions 😅

I give them pepper, cucumber, tomatoes (they love it), radishes. I give them brocoli not too much but every day so I might stop it. As they are new too me, I try different stuffs to see what they like. My mum brought me dandelions from her garden but I didn't give them yet, I'm scared it's not dandelions 😅

Tomatoes are fine to be fed but only as a very occasional treat. They are too acidic to be an every day food as the acidity can lead to a lip infection called cheilitis

Hi, just wondering what veggies you feed your piggies? Favourites? How often?
Wanting to do the best for them but getting mixed messages trying to research so I thought I'd ask you lovely peeps.
I give my three pepper, lettuce, and cucumber daily. They get celery 2 or 3 times a week and a small piece of kale, carrot, and/or apple once a week. I hope this helps!

I thought lettuce was to be avoided because of nitrates? What are you thoughts about aubergine, fennel and arugula ?

I thought lettuce was to be avoided because of nitrates? What are you thoughts about aubergine, fennel and arugula ?

lettuce is fine as an every day food.
Fennel and Arugula/rocket are fine but I’ve got a very vague memory it’s (arugula/rocket) is high calcium which would make it only suitable for once a week.
aubergine/eggplant is on the questionable list but I’m not sure if it has been moved at all in the years gone by since the guide was written/guide not updated. If in doubt leave it out

Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

Let's be clear about what kind of lettuce? As I've read that iceberg lettuce is not appropriate and only romaine or butter lettuce will do? I'd like some clarification as I fed iceberg once and they devoured it...

Let's be clear about what kind of lettuce? As I've read that iceberg lettuce is not appropriate and only romaine or butter lettuce will do? I'd like some clarification as I fed iceberg once and they devoured it...
Any lettuce except iceberg. Iceberg is the equivalent of cardboard in terms of nutritional value and has a very high water content, which can lead to bloat. So it's definitely best to avoid iceberg.

Back