• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cystitis

Qpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Muffin has been squeaking a little while pooping over the last few days and lost a bit of weight, so husband popped her to the vet today. They have checked her out and said it's cystitis. She's got medication and the vet said to increase water by wetting veg before feeding and to increase greens. Is there a good veg to feed to help? She gets coriander, pepper, green bean and lettuce daily. Anything else I should add in?

Muffin has been squeaking a little while pooping over the last few days and lost a bit of weight, so husband popped her to the vet today. They have checked her out and said it's cystitis. She's got medication and the vet said to increase water by wetting veg before feeding and to increase greens. Is there a good veg to feed to help? She gets coriander, pepper, green bean and lettuce daily. Anything else I should add in?

Hi

Just make sure that they have fresh clean water access at all times.

You can add some cucumber and if you have access to a safe, unsprayed area, dandelion is a good diuretic. Serving veg wet is frankly not very effective since water runs off very quickly. It's not worth the bother.

What medication and dosages is Muffin on?

Below is our guide to infections of the urinary tract. You are either dealing with a bacterial urine infection or a sterile (i.e. non-bacterial) cystitis that affects mainly the insulation natural glucosamine layer on the walls of the urinary tract which prevents highly corrosive urine from coming into stinging contact with raw tissue.

Getting hold of some glucosamine based feliway cat bladder capsules online (UK product, but other countries have comparable brands) can likely help more with the discomfort. It is not a quick fix since the glucosamine needs time to build up in the body but it is the most effective measure apart from analgesics.
Glucosamine is classed as a food supplement so vets don't prescribe it but painkillers are classed as a prescription-only medication. We can take it from there once you have got the feliway capsules.

Hi

Just make sure that they have fresh clean water access at all times.

You can add some cucumber and if you have access to a safe, unsprayed area, dandelion is a good diuretic. Serving veg wet is frankly not very effective since water runs off very quickly. It's not worth the bother.

What medication and dosages is Muffin on?

Below is our guide to infections of the urinary tract. You are either dealing with a bacterial urine infection or a sterile (i.e. non-bacterial) cystitis that affects mainly the insulation natural glucosamine layer on the walls of the urinary tract which prevents highly corrosive urine from coming into stinging contact with raw tissue.

Getting hold of some glucosamine based feliway cat bladder capsules online (UK product, but other countries have comparable brands) can likely help more with the discomfort. It is not a quick fix since the glucosamine needs time to build up in the body but it is the most effective measure apart from analgesics.
Glucosamine is classed as a food supplement so vets don't prescribe it but painkillers are classed as a prescription-only medication. We can take it from there once you have got the feliway capsules.

Thanks for this. Our vets are the Cat & Rabbit Clinic so confident we're on the right path. She's on Co-trimoxazole and Loxicom.

I have dried dandelion forage, is that going to be helpful or is fresh better?

Thanks for this. Our vets are the Cat & Rabbit Clinic so confident we're on the right path. She's on Co-trimoxazole and Loxicom.

I have dried dandelion forage, is that going to be helpful or is fresh better?

Fresh dandelion would be better if you can get some (I don't weed them from my lawn) but dried can also help. Cucumber and lettuce are best for a sustainable edible fluid.

Co-trim is better known as Bactrim or the old septrin and loxicom is dog strength metacam. You are certainly in good hands there; they are the standard treatment for a urinary tract infection. If the infection comes back or doesn't react to the antibiotic, then the next step is considering a sterile cystitis.

I take my own piggies to the Cat&Rabbit for any operations or whatever my local general vets can't cope with.

Back