• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

julie206

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys! I’ve been very worried about my Guinea pig. Her name is munchie and she is around 6. We rescued her because the original owners didn’t want her so we took her in. My concern is that on her right side near her front foot kind of on her belly/armpit. There is a giant cyst that wasn’t there a month ago. It was brown, but didn’t seem to cause her much pain. She’s eating and drinking and running around as normal. We scheduled an appointment for a vet, however we had to wait two days in order to see the vet. The very next day it seems as if the cyst burst or she cut it on some thing leaving blood everywhere on her toys and all over the walls near the cage. When we took her to the vet, they stuck a needle in and they were only drawing out blood. They informed us that it didn’t matter how much blood they took out because it just kept filling back up. Due to financial reasons and due to her older age, we feel it might not be best to undergo surgery for her. I have been doing a lot of research and I am very concerned that it might be cancer. We gave her the proper antibiotics as well. Does anyone have any recommendations on what we should do?

To me it sounds like cancer. What did the vet say? Did they do any tests to see if it is cancer? (I understand the financial delema.) Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations as I'm not experienced in this and I don't want to recommend something that might be good with one animal but dangerous with another.

To me it sounds like cancer. What did the vet say? Did they do any tests to see if it is cancer? (I understand the financial delema.) Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations as I'm not experienced in this and I don't want to recommend something that might be good with one animal but dangerous with another.
The vet did not test it for cancer cells because she thought there was no need to. She said since it is blood it’s most likely cancer. However, since I’ve been doing massive research I wanted to maybe see other people’s opinions in hopes that it is something else. I’m not sure if I’m in denial, but I feel like there can be other conclusions out there then just cancer! I’m not sure why the vet decided not to bother looking under the microscope nor why my family member at the time tell them to double check.

My recently passed guinea pig Kip had something like this on his neck for the last couple years of his life, filled with blood too when it was drained. It went away, then came back again, then got drained and came back again. It was fairly large and solid feeling but it never seemed to bother him. When he died, he was PTS because he was bloated and had free fluid so the vet was sure it was likely liver failure, he was nearly 7 years old. Point being it wasn’t actually the lump or whatever the lump was that killed him, maybe it was connected but I haven’t made that connection anyway.

This is the best photo I could find of it but just incase your situation could be similar? I never found out what it was, but it didn’t seem to be cancerous. I would of course rule out cancer with your piggy, but just incase this similar-ish experience helps or is any context.

Hoping for the best for your piggy and you ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_1413.webp
    IMG_1413.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 2
I’m afraid the only way to know for sure that the lump is cancer is to have a sample of the lump sent away for biopsy but if the lump is full of blood, sadly it’s likely

If you can not afford or would rather not put her through surgery, concentrate on loving her and making lots of memories (((hugs))) x

Hi guys! I’ve been very worried about my Guinea pig. Her name is munchie and she is around 6. We rescued her because the original owners didn’t want her so we took her in. My concern is that on her right side near her front foot kind of on her belly/armpit. There is a giant cyst that wasn’t there a month ago. It was brown, but didn’t seem to cause her much pain. She’s eating and drinking and running around as normal. We scheduled an appointment for a vet, however we had to wait two days in order to see the vet. The very next day it seems as if the cyst burst or she cut it on some thing leaving blood everywhere on her toys and all over the walls near the cage. When we took her to the vet, they stuck a needle in and they were only drawing out blood. They informed us that it didn’t matter how much blood they took out because it just kept filling back up. Due to financial reasons and due to her older age, we feel it might not be best to undergo surgery for her. I have been doing a lot of research and I am very concerned that it might be cancer. We gave her the proper antibiotics as well. Does anyone have any recommendations on what we should do?
Hey thank you all so much for the advice. I means a lot to me and my guinea pig. Does anyone have an any vet recommendations for here on Long Island. I’m in Commack but I don’t mind a little travel as well! I would like to go just to get a second opinion and do more testing.

Back