• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cutting nails - the horror!

• Thread starter Thread starter 31M4
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

31M4

My new piggy absolutely loathes having her nails cut.

I bought her when she was 8-12wks old and thought that she would handle having her nails cut better if I started preparing her for it immediately. I waited until she had got used to me and then started handling her as I would if I were to cut her nails. I'd hold her up against me and then touch all her paws in turn and I'd do this everyday. I also let her just play with and chew the nail clippers so she'd get used to them.

My previous piggies never got this treatment and responded better than she does!

On her first actual nail trimming session it took 45 minutes and I didn't even manage to cut half of her nails. She cries, whinges, screams, nips, bites, rolls over, thrashes, kicks and jumps until I give in. Even with a second person its difficult and no-one wants to help me because she bites.

Her nails aren't too bad, length wise, because she is out a lot, but they are starting to curl and this will make things even harder in the future if they get too bad.

Any ideas on how to make her love the idea of having her nails trimmed or how to restrain her?

My pigs are just as bad - the only way I can even get one poaw done is if the OH holds them while I trim the claws. Little monsters! The rabbits are worse!

Spice is quite bad.
Try wrapping her up in a towel or you hold her and someone else cuts. Make sure you don't cut the blood vessel in the nail. If you do it more often and regularly she should get used to it and calm down a bit.
Good luck!

Most piggies fight whilst getting there nails clipped, little monkeys they are, espcially if ther is one nail left and they pull there foot away.
I have a no messing tolerance with mine, lol. I cant be bothered with them messing around, I think they feel that energy and lie still whist I do it.
Its a mass nail clipping going on in my house when its time. I do everyone on the same day every 3 weeks if they need doing, I also remove the spurs if that needs doing also.

Emma x

That sounds like a Spur, here is Fred, with and without a spur...
spur.jpg

spurgone.jpg

They can easily be removed with nail clippers, human nail scissors.

Emma x

I have one pig who will sit on my lap let me hold her paws and cut her nails one by one with no fuss what so ever 0:) :smitten:

And then her little sister is a complete monster but with a firm hand and quick movements as well as a good resistance to the pain of scratching she is clippable >:D :smitten:...still hoping she will learn from her bg sister ;D

I can't cut Duke's he goes crazy too ::) so i get them done when he's at the vets and having a sleep whilst his toofies are being trimmed O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back