Cutting Corex Loft

Tory93

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a corex loft in my piggies cage but use it more of a hay nesting box at ground level with a fleece liner going in to the opening.

The walls are quite high so my girlie's like it, I think it makes them feel safe. They have had it a little while but I have noticed they have recently started jumping over the walls of it! I don't want them hurting their legs, one had bladdrr surgery in May so don't want her pulling anything and we have in the past had to have one of our babies put to sleep as she twisted her internals when jumping. I think the reason for them jumping over the walls is if they are both in the hay nesting box and one of them is blocking the exit, so I wanted to cut in a 2nd exit, but have no idea how to cut into corex without making it shatter or sharp etc. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have attached a picture of what they have, you can see the opening on the left, I want to cut the same opening on the right so they can get in and out easily if one of them is blocking the existing exit.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240907_195145_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20240907_195145_Chrome.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 1
We just use a Stanley knife to cut it, if you think it's a bit rough use some sandpaper.
Thank you! Does a Stanley knife go through it okay without it splintering? Does the knife need to be heated up?

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a corex loft in my piggies cage but use it more of a hay nesting box at ground level with a fleece liner going in to the opening.

The walls are quite high so my girlie's like it, I think it makes them feel safe. They have had it a little while but I have noticed they have recently started jumping over the walls of it! I don't want them hurting their legs, one had bladdrr surgery in May so don't want her pulling anything and we have in the past had to have one of our babies put to sleep as she twisted her internals when jumping. I think the reason for them jumping over the walls is if they are both in the hay nesting box and one of them is blocking the exit, so I wanted to cut in a 2nd exit, but have no idea how to cut into corex without making it shatter or sharp etc. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have attached a picture of what they have, you can see the opening on the left, I want to cut the same opening on the right so they can get in and out easily if one of them is blocking the existing exit.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I agree. I used my hub's stanley knife for my own correx (long before there were readymade cages).

A word to the wise: Make sure that you measure it carefully (twice), mark the cut and double-check in the location before you cut. And use duct tape for anything you have to bond together (like a folded corner or a cutting mistake); but it is more unsightly.

It's quite soft really. I rounded out spiky corners to avoid scrapes. You can cut it with scissors if they are sharp. Perhaps cut out a small piece to use for practice. Tailoring as described above is important. I'm glad they precut Correx now, but what you need to do shouldn't be too complicated 🏡

Back