Cutting Claws

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 151851
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 151851

Hello all, hope you're having a good day,

I am new to this site but from what I've heard you can get good advice and right now that is exactly what I need 😂I'm trying to cut my piggies claws however they will not sit still even with a treat. It's too much to get them done at my nearest vet/grooming and I need to learn to do it myself haha. I've given a treat but they still will not sit nor show me their claws and it's really difficult for me to do them without getting the quick or hurting them (also as I'm extremely paranoid of hurting them, even if they squeak because they're being dramatic 😆). Any advice? I would be so grateful, thank you!

:wel:

This guide may help you
Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails

Its something which takes practise but also patience! It may be that you cannot clip all nails in one go. My oldest pair of boys dont particularly like being handled so when they were first with me, I may only get one paw done at a sitting, I may not even manage all the nails on that one paw done. It could take me a few days to get all nails on all pigs done!

When I’m doing my piggies nails now, I hold piggy in one arm (or sit them on my outstretched legs and use my forearm to create a barrier) and use that same hand to hold the paw I am wanting to clip, then use the other hand to clip.

PS. I have removed your post code from your location for your own online security. The postcode gives away so much information about the exact road you are on. I have changed it to just say UK for now, but if you wish to edit it again to show just your county then that is fine. It also helps us as we can tailor any information we provide a bit more closely

I always enlist help when cutting my piggies’ nails. It makes it less stressful for me if someone holds them still while I do the trimming.

@piggiesandbuns thank you so much for changing the location! I had no idea what to put in it and panicked so just put a postcode, so grateful! And thank you for the advice too! I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! ❤️

One thing you can consider is booking an appointment at your vets for a vet nurse to do it and show you while they are doing it. It might help you build a bit more confidence in doing it yourself. I remember when I first got piggies I was terrified of doing it but you soon get the hang of it and it's a useful skill to pick up

Back