• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cut under chin

• Thread starter Thread starter ksiusha237
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

ksiusha237

Hello,
So today I was sitting with my guinea pigs, and I noticed one of them has under his chin a cut. It is not bleeding however in this area of the cut there is no fur and just a cut. He is eating and happy, sleeping and eager to be held. I cleaned his cage so that he cannot get an infection. I have not noticed this cut on him under his chin, but I am wondering how can I treat it. Also, not now but before I have noticed a sticky thing on his lips in the left corner of his mouth that i've had to remove. Is this normal? They have both had these weird things on their lips, only a little and it does not affect their eating or playtime or anything. I was just wondering what to do because I have had guinea pigs for three years, and this is the first time they have had a cut. Thank you in advance for your help,

Ksiusha

I would take them to the vets. One just to make sure the cut hasn't become infected and two because of the sticky thing on their lips. I haven't exprienced any sticky substance at the corner of any guineas mouths. ? :)

Well it's not really sticky and there is none at the moment... I have trouble explaining what it is like. They have a check up in two weeks. Do you think I could wait until then? I am not able to take them to the vet at this moment :'(

How can you tell if it's infected?

Signs such as the wound smelling, have liquid coming from it and basically not look very nice. You will know if it has become infected. If you are not able to take your guineas for a couple of weeks get a bit of kitchen towel that has been dipped in a salt and water solution and clean the area two to three times a day. Keep the guineas environment clean and dry. I have no idea what the substance from the mouth is. Next time it is there take a picture and show us. I would urge you to get to the vets ASAP though. O0

I see, is this solution supposed to help? I just cleaned his towels and cage so everything is clean and nice. So I put a towel in water and salt and rub it on? How much do I use? Is this okay to do? I think I will try tomorrow, he is now very busy eating hay. He ate his dinner. He's always been a little picky, he loves to take breaks alternating from veggies to pellets to hay... the other one is the opposite sitting and finishing every last bite. so funny

Thank you very much for your help. I would post a picture but my camera is out of batteries. But that is something I will try to do. The cut is pretty small, however it is visible that something is there. Thank you very much for your help and attention,

Ksiusha, Hriusha(guinea pig with boo boo) and Shura

Hi have you tried cleaning the wound today? How did he go? I'm so pleased he's still eating that's a positive sign O0
You're a good mummy to have noticed and asked all these questions, well done :)
Wishing you luck :)

I tend to do a level teaspoonful of salt to a cup, which holds about 180mls. I normally use kitchen towel as it is quite soft and none of the material will be left in the wound, if you understand what I mean. Give it a go, I promise you it will not harm him. :)

Hello,
Yes, he is doing well. He ate his breakfast and finished all his pellets and his hay. I had to refill both! Shura also. The cut is looking fine, a scab has formed, but it is clean. My mother told me to put hot water on it and I cleaned it this morning and this afternoon, and he just sits very cooperatively. She said the salt could sting him. Is this true? Or is it a bigger chance to prevent the infection? He is a very snuggly piggy and feeling better... however I am still wondering where this cut came from.

The salt prevents infection, he will barely feel it if you use a weak solution like I do (a level teaspoonful of salt to 180mls of warm, not boiling water). With the salt and water solution it is best to use boiling water from a kettle that has cooled down to a warm temperature. It's good he is still eating and well by the sounds of it. Keep his cage clean and dry, bathe his wound in the salt and water solution two to three times a day depending on how bad it is. Since it has formed a scab twice a day should be enough. O0

The cut is healing beautifully.. the scab is gone and the fur is almost all grown back. Very relieved!
However this morning, he had that weird stuff on his lip again. I don't know what it is. Does your guinea pig have any weird stuff on their lip ever? I took it off without a problem.. I dont understand what it's from. :-\

I not sure what it could be unless I see it. Next time it is there take a picture of it. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back