Cut Lip

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
My reggie appears to have a little bite/cut on his bottom lip. The only time i’ve seen him and his buddy having an issue was a couple days ago when reggie needed to “release”, if you know what I mean, but this calmed down once he had finished his business.

Their bond seems fine otherwise, no obvious signs of uncomfortable-ness/unhappiness around each other. So i’m wondering if maybe he just got a bit caught up in something or if this is something I should be wary of. Thanks

Keep an eye but if they are otherwise ok together then leave them to it.
It could simply be he caught his friend by surprise and there was a bit of a swipe

Keep an eye but if they are otherwise ok together then leave them to it.
It could simply be he caught his friend by surprise and there was a bit of a swipe
I think they’re having issues. My reggie is an extremely defensive piggy after some failed bonds which is why we went down the baby route when re-bonding him about a month ago now. Reggie is 1y and 3m and Bean is just coming in to his teenager phase.

I’ve been sat watching them and there’s been a lot of lunging and teeth chattering. It cools down a bit but then they just start up again.

Whatever is going on it is very tense.

Their tense “session” went on for about 5 minutes and now they are back to just minding their own business.

Reggie is unsettled when bean comes near as beans often sniffs Reggie’s bum area which obviously he doesn’t like. And sometimes bean tries to hump reggie which then sets reggie off on a defensive rumble strut/arguement.

Will they be ok in a hutch overnight?

Things seem the same this morning. They’re ok generally but they’re kind of avoiding interaction with each other.

Leave them to it and see how things go. I wouldn’t intervene unless they fight or you are certain a fight might happen.

It's not uncommon for boars to have a bit of a squabble every now and then, I would not worry too much about a cut lip and some animosity immediately after unless this becomes a frequent problem or the fighting gets more serious. Sometimes, they get a bit of a hormone spike, especially in spring and early summer, but that should sort itself out after a couple of days. I would continue to watch them closely. There might be a more permanent change in their dynamic coming up if one or both are going through puberty (up to 15 months, especially around 4 months and 8-10 months), or are experiencing hormonal changes with aging (starting around 4-5 years).
Make sure to regularly check the area around the wound for small bumps for at least a week, even if the wound itself heals much quicker than that. Abscesses can develop even from surface-level wounds. They can be quite painful and even dangerous if they aren't caught early.

Back