• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cushings disease

Stockyanna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. Was wondering if anybody had any experience in Cushings Disease in guinea pigs please. We don't know for sure and it is just a hunch by the vet at the moment. My Queenie has has various issues over the years and recently we put her on gabapentin as well as the meloyxdyl that she's permanently on. I decided to take her off the gabapentin and she dropped 60-70 grams overnight so I figured she must be in pain. She was out on it for dental reasons initially. I decided to get an ultrasound done and she has an enlarged adrenal gland, slightly larger lady bits than your average pig (I had her spayed in nov due to cystic ovaries which affected all of her digestive system and they've been large since then) and very dilute wee. Now the vet started putting two and two together and wondered if it could be. No hair loss on her sides yet which would be another sign so she thinks I've spotted things really early as I don't hang about where my pigs are concerned. However it's £420 to test her to know for sure. She's over 5 and I've had about £3000 on vet bills this year (been a tad unlucky!) and have another surgery on another to pay for yet. The vet seems to think it's treatable when she researched it. Although could be tricky splitting the med over twice a day! Just wondered if anybody has any experience in this please. Any info would be gratefully received

Attachments

• IMG_5698.webp
    IMG_5698.webp
    110.3 KB · Views: 2
Cushing's disease

There's some info in the above thread I've linked for you to read until a health and illness expert comes along. If you go to the bar at the top of the page and use the search box there are a few other threads you may find useful.

Cushing's disease

There's some info in the above thread I've linked for you to read until a health and illness expert comes along. If you go to the bar at the top of the page and use the search box there are a few other threads you may find useful.
Thank you very much. Sorry where do I go? I can't see anything on here x

Cushing's disease

Oh sorry I click on the title. I've got it thank you 😊

Hi

I am very sorry about your piggies troubles and your vet's concerns.

Cushing's disease in guinea pigs is actually very rare. We don't get to see a case every year on here - while this is not an exact measurement, over coming up to 20 years of forum existence, it does give you a bit of a representational idea.

Unfortunately, we haven't come across any successful treatment yet. Cushings is commonly discovered and - if at all - in the later stages in guinea pigs. Characteristic irregular hair loss all over the body in combination with weight loss are usually what gives it away.
Like with most metabolic diseases, guinea pigs are rather difficult to treat and they lag way behind in research. There is currently some research going on into how medication is absorbed in the guinea pig gut. :(

I truly wish we had better news.

She is a pretty little piggy, it's sad to hear she's having a hard time.

Hi

I am very sorry about your piggies troubles and your vet's concerns.

Cushing's disease in guinea pigs is actually very rare. We don't get to see a case every year on here - while this is not an exact measurement, over coming up to 20 years of forum existence, it does give you a bit of a representational idea.

Unfortunately, we haven't come across any successful treatment yet. Cushings is commonly discovered and - if at all - in the later stages in guinea pigs. Characteristic irregular hair loss all over the body in combination with weight loss are usually what gives it away.
Like with most metabolic diseases, guinea pigs are rather difficult to treat and they lag way behind in research. There is currently some research going on into how medication is absorbed in the guinea pig gut. :(

I truly wish we had better news.
Thank you. Yes it's very much a hunch just based on a few findings. My vet said the same thing that most come In at the late stages when it's too late to do much. But she only did a Quick Look into things because she said there was no point in paying the £420 to diagnose it, if there was no solution at the end. She seemed to think there was a drug. I'm due in the vet again today with another pig having an ultrasound so I'll find out what drug she had found. Thank you for coming back to me. I am seeing Simon at Cat and Rabbit on Saturday. I was going to sound him out too 😊. Thank you x

Thank you. Yes it's very much a hunch just based on a few findings. My vet said the same thing that most come In at the late stages when it's too late to do much. But she only did a Quick Look into things because she said there was no point in paying the £420 to diagnose it, if there was no solution at the end. She seemed to think there was a drug. I'm due in the vet again today with another pig having an ultrasound so I'll find out what drug she had found. Thank you for coming back to me. I am seeing Simon at Cat and Rabbit on Saturday. I was going to sound him out too 😊. Thank you x

All the best! Good idea to ask Kim or Simon first.

It can be that there is now a drug. The most recent case we have seen on here was put on medication but sadly it didn't work but again, it was obviously a fairly late diagnosis. If there was a working drug and more awareness, then that would be great. It's not nice for any of us having to tell the bad news; we always feel with whoever we have to since there is always a loving and caring owner at the other end.

Last edited:
It may be Vetoryl or trilostane, but I don't know anything more than the names of these drugs, and I don't know whether or not they work. Sending comforting thoughts to you and your little piggy.

It has been used for treating hamsters, but I'm not sure how much success it's had against Cushing's disease in rodents.

All the best! Good idea to ask Kim or Simon first.

It can be that there is now a drug. The most recent case we have seen on here was put on medication but sadly it didn't work but again, it was obviously a fairly late diagnosis. If there was a working drug and more awareness, then that would be great. It's not nice for any of us having to tell the bad news; we always feel with whoever we have to since there is always a loving and caring owner at the other end.
Hi. I asked about the drug and it's called Vetoryl. My vet had also called the company that supply the drug and it can be given to guinea pigs. She had researched it more than I thought. I hadnt realised that she had called a few people. She said admittedly there wasn't much information on line about it. The only bit she needs to find out more about is the dosage because it is saying a tablet into 5. I am very familiar with that as my two were on diabetic drugs so we used to mix with 5 parts water and just give 1 ml at a time. She said we have caught things really early and she's not entirely sure whether she's got it correct but judging by my luck, and the fact that poorly piggies with complicated illnesses get sent it me, and perhaps my calling, that knowing my luck it will be the case! My girl is over 5 too so also something to consider. We are all very much in the throws of researching right now but after I have spoken to Simon on Saturday I will let you know 😊

Many thanks, Anna x

It may be Vetoryl or trilostane, but I don't know anything more than the names of these drugs, and I don't know whether or not they work. Sending comforting thoughts to you and your little piggy.
Yes of vetoryl. She said she called and spoke to a few people about giving it to guinea pigs and apparently it can be. It's just whether we can split the drug into 5 easily enough. Will update when I know more x

Hi. I asked about the drug and it's called Vetoryl. My vet had also called the company that supply the drug and it can be given to guinea pigs. She had researched it more than I thought. I hadnt realised that she had called a few people. She said admittedly there wasn't much information on line about it. The only bit she needs to find out more about is the dosage because it is saying a tablet into 5. I am very familiar with that as my two were on diabetic drugs so we used to mix with 5 parts water and just give 1 ml at a time. She said we have caught things really early and she's not entirely sure whether she's got it correct but judging by my luck, and the fact that poorly piggies with complicated illnesses get sent it me, and perhaps my calling, that knowing my luck it will be the case! My girl is over 5 too so also something to consider. We are all very much in the throws of researching right now but after I have spoken to Simon on Saturday I will let you know 😊

Many thanks, Anna x

All the best. Hopefully, by catching it very early you are in with a chance of prolonging her life by quite a bit - even that would be a massive step forward.

My fingers are firmly crossed.

Back