• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Curly odd shaped nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I ask because Digbys nails grow so strangely. Since he arrived I have had trouble cutting them as when they grow they instantly curl, they are almost tube like instead of the usual piggy nail shape. They are also very thick. Is this because his previous owners never clipped his nails and let them grow into a awful state or is this just what older piggies nails are like?

Yes,the nails can get thicker and start to curl when the piggies age.Keep them clipped down as much as possible,to stop them growing into the pad.

when my Bubble got older his thumb nails grew like that it was a b****r to cut, the rest of his nails were fine :)

Austin, Rocky, Toffee, Daisy, Sue and Sooty's nails grow like that too, we just have to clip them quite often.

When we checked Jimmy`s nails, we noticed his were very thick and curling in toward his pad.
I was told he is 2 years old.
Nail clippers were no good, thought it was a vet job.
My hubby said try wire cutters, as he uses them on his thick nails. :P
Nervous though I was, I got someone to hold him while I cut his nails and they worked a treat and Jimmy is ok till they grow again. O0

Merlin has these too

They dont seem to bother him tbh but Karen is going to have a look in a couple of wheeks when i take him to board there :smitten:

Thanks guys, I have been a little worried about them for a while. He also has spurs on both his front feet and I trim them if he lets me get to them which is a nightmare ::) ::)

Sue had one spur on her foot too, but it fell off over time. I checked her feet over and they were fine :)

The girls are still young and their nails are fine, but once I looked after my friends 7 year old piggy and one of her nails has spiralled upwards and out of control
She took them to her petshop to cut it but they said they couldnt get the angle right and didnt want to risk cutting the quick.
I feel really sorry for it as it must be a bit painful to walk on

dazie said:
Thanks guys, I have been a little worried about them for a while. He also has spurs on both his front feet and I trim them if he lets me get to them which is a nightmare ::) ::)

I have that problem with Fugly, he keeps hiding his paws little >:D >:D

bobs thumbs on his front paws do this they are a nightmare to cut. to make it worse he has black claws too

one of fudges nails on each foot grows like at to but der not thick so easy enough to cut ;D

When I rescued Peggy she had long curly nails that had never been cut, and had almost grown back into the feet. She could barely walk! I cut them regularly now, but even when they are freshly cut they still curl to the side. I think that they have just grown this way because they were never cut when she was younger. They aren't thick or like tubes though.

My popcorn has had strange shaped nails since he was a baby. They curl out sideways. Hes had a few health problems tho so i just assumed it was part of that.

to make bobs claws even worse to cut, he gets spurs on that side of his foot too ::)

Albie's & Howie's curl inwards too, they're both 3.5 yet Maddie's, who's the same age, are fine :)

Both my girls, who are 5 1/2 now, have this problem too. I have to cut their nails regularly, but it's a bit of a nightmare to do.

A couple of Petals nails grow like this, she's still a young piggy not even a year old and there not thck they just need cutting more often and kept ttrim :)

Ralfies nails grow very quickly and thick and they curl in too even when they're short :( he looked as if he'd never had a nail trim when he got to the rescue and we think he's about two, all my girls' nails grow fine. So it is probably due to age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back