Cuddly toy ?

Tilly92

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig's mother died yesterday she was 5+ years old. Her daughter is 5 years 2 months old . I don't want another piggy at present but i wondered if a cuddly toy to snuggle upto might help or is that a human concept ? She is eating and running about as normal .The only noticeable change is her silence... she is usually very vocal .Obviously she willget much more human interaction than before

I’m sorry for your loss.

She will be grieving but it is good that she is still behaving as normal.
A cuddly toy will not offer any comfort to her though.

There comes a time when we will all want to end our piggy cycles. It’s a tricky one though because the remaining piggy will still need piggy companionship.

The guide below may help
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

Given her age it could be difficult to find a suitably aged companion. At the moment I don't think I want to continue the cycle but that decision is not final

Some rescues will do a 'foster' so you still go through all the checks etc but the idea is that any piggy you take on will be returned if your original piggy passes. I was trying to find a 'Grandma' foster pig for my old George at one point because he didn't appreciate lively young pigs but he ended up with a cage-mate and sows next door. Just as well as he's made 6 years (so far). Have a look at the recommended rescues above and see if any are near you. You could also ask if the rescue uses foster-carers for any of their intake... some places will have healthy piggies waiting for their forever home who just need a 'for now' home.

So sorry for your loss.
I think I would be looking for a shortish term foster as a companion as @Free Ranger has suggested.
If you’re in Lincolnshire then Cavy Corner rescue in Doncaster May be accessible for you.

Back