• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Crying When Pooping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PappisnDemba

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As title really - what is usually the problem when this happens? Noticed it for a couple of days now, thought it was when weeing at first as she does get this occasionally but it seems to be when she is pooping. No change in diet. Thank you :)

Possibly could be a uti or a bout of cystitis. Vets check up would be a wise move. Is it with every poo?

As title really - what is usually the problem when this happens? Noticed it for a couple of days now, thought it was when weeing at first as she does get this occasionally but it seems to be when she is pooping. No change in diet. Thank you :)

With sows it could be in terms of frequency:
- urine infection or cystitis (inflammation of the bladder walls)
- bladder stones or sludge
- an issue with the womb

Please have her seen by a vet; if necessary ask for an x-ray. I would also recommend to ask for a painkiller/anti-inflammatory like metacam if your vet doesn't prescribe it.

Thanks everyone - I'll take her to vets first thing Monday - we are frequent visitors with one thing or another. I didn't realise it could be cystitis with pooing. I will ask for antibiotics and metacam.

Thank you - she's adorable but it's one thing after another with her - we've just got over a dental for overgrown back teeth, had about 8 weeks of good health and now this!

Thank you - she's adorable but it's one thing after another with her - we've just got over a dental for overgrown back teeth, had about 8 weeks of good health and now this!

UTI (urinary tract infection) is one of the opportunists and can hit when the immune system is lowered after an illness / major health problem. Alternatively, her diet can have got a bit out of kilter.

It might be bladder stones. Get to the vet Asap. Hope your guinea gets better soon.

Took Pappis to vet on Monday. She did 3 painful wees while we were there so the vet could see exactly what was going on. She prescribed marbocyl and metacam (but only for 3 days). The antibiotics are for 10 days but the vet did say this might need to be extended. Anyway, no improvement yet, although she has only had 2 doses.
I've been reading some threads which recommend cystease - if I got this, what dose would I need to give? She's always been a solid piggie but has lost a slight amount of weight, although still nearly 1Kg. I'm disappointed she's still in pain but I guess it's still early days.
Thank you :)

Marbocyl is a really good antibiotic but not necessarily the best for a UTI, Septrin tends to be more effective. Can see why the vet has given it though with it being stronger. You may need to ask the vet for a longer dose of Metacam if needed and it is also best to split the dose so it is given twice a day. Cystease is for inflammation of the bladder and the active ingredient is Glucosamine. I would run this past your vet first, the standard dose is 125mg a day. I use Glucosamine for my pig who has Interstitial Cystitis which is inflammation of the bladder.

Sorry, me again! Should there be any improvement after 3 days antibiotics or am I being impatient? She's still really crying when going to the toilet :(

Sorry, me again! Should there be any improvement after 3 days antibiotics or am I being impatient? She's still really crying when going to the toilet :(
3 days is quite early to see a big improvement, so do not be impatient. In my experience with my guinea pig, it can take quite some time to show massive improvement.

I am going through the same thing at the moment with my guinea pig. He is crying when going to the toilet and the vet prescribed a course of antibiotic metacam and cystophan. He has finished his antibiotic, went back to the vet afterwards as he was still crying and metacam has been increased twice a day and cystophan still, which is the same sort of thing as Cystease. I know from before it took him 6 weeks of treatment before he started to get much better and then it was only by 90%, as he still sometimes cried when weeing/pooing. He was scanned and they found nothing and said it was interstitial cystitis. So we battle on.

Just keep going. It will often take some time to get better if it is interstitial cystitis. If it is bacterial cystitis, you will have a bit better chance of it getting better a bit quicker. Septrin is the better antibiotic, as it is excreted mainly in the urine and so has a better chance of dealing with infection in the urine, but whatever, it will take longer than 3 days to show massive improvement.

Hope you see some improvements soon. Best wishes to your both.

Thank you. I just hate seeing her in pain. Out of all her illnesses (and she's had her fair share) this is by far the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back