• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Crying, squeaking when peeing and blood in urine

Liliana

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, my guinea pig is crying when peeing , she is hunching and her fur is up and she dont have much of an appetite. What can I do? What can I give her? I gave her chamomille tea, cherry stems tea and Urinal. The vet isnt available till Tuesday? What can I do? I love her so so so much
Thank you

Hello, my guinea pig is crying when peeing , she is hunching and her fur is up and she dont have much of an appetite. What can I do? What can I give her? I gave her chamomille tea, cherry stems tea and Urinal. The vet isnt available till Tuesday? What can I do? I love her so so so much
Thank you

Hi and welcome

- Please check the area just above the genitalia on the belly side for a hard bulge under the skin. This is where urethral stones in sows can fetch up and at the very worst block the flow of urine, which is fatal. This is a life or death emergency. You can find a picture of a large urethral stone in a sow in the Pees and Stones link.

- The symptoms can also apply for stones stuck elsewhere in the urinary tract as well as for a severe form of sterile cystitis. The sooner your poorly piggy can be seen as an emergency, the better. I am so sorry that there is no earlier regular appointment. Can you ask the clinic whether they have daily emergency slots and how to apply for them if they have them?

Here is an overview of problems in the urinary tract. The fact that her hair is standing up means that she is in strong internal pain somewhere.

Support care
- Please step in with weighing daily first thing in the morning on your normal cheap kitchen scales to monitor the food intake any potential weight loss. Over three quarters of what a guinea pig eats in a day is hay.

- Step in with feeding support now. This guide here tells you how you can improvise.

Here is our emergency and crisis care information pack. Please take the time to read the guides. They contain all the practical tips and information that we cannot type out fully every single time.

- Ask the clinic what or if they can recommend anything in terms of painkillers. According to UK rules, metacam (meloxicam) is prescription-only.

Fingers firmly crossed.

Back