• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

crusty black stuff in ears?

• Thread starter Thread starter AmberC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AmberC

Hello! I have two piggies. I got them both from people who didn't want them anymore/weren't taking care of them. I've had them a while now, but haven't really messed with them very much. They are jumpy are seem afraid of me, and I felt that I was stressing them out too much by trying to handle them. So I figured I'd just take as good of care of them as possible, give them good food (premium guinea pig pellets, timothy hay, and fresh greens every day), keep the cages clean (they live separately as they are male and female), etc, but try to not stress them. Well that kinda backfired on me, and I didn't realize I couldn't monitor stuff like nails, ears, etc, very well. I'm working on getting the nails slowly trimmed. they don't like it very much but I can get it done pretty quickly if Hubby helps hold them. But I noticed today that Buzz's ears have some crusty black stuff in them. He doesn't act like it bothers him, doesn't scratch, etc, but I know it's not normal! I looked at Bessie's ears, and they are nice and clean.

So, what would cause the crusty black stuff? Is it something I can take care of myself, like putting mineral oil or something on it and cleaning gently with a swab? Or does the vet need to attend to it? I would call him, but it's Sunday and I don't want to bother him on his only day off unless it's an emergency. Buzz otherwise appears to be perfectly healthy. Eats and drinks well, his poops look normal, no excessive smell, active, etc.

What colour are Buzzs ears? I know that black animals produce the same colour skin and could just mean that his ears need a good wash.
I would recommend using some salt water on a cotton ball and going around the ear, if it has a strong smell it could be an infection I would require antibiotics but a head tilt usually comes with ear infection. I have used Johnsons Ear Cleanser on one my guineas to clean out his ears, you could grow potatoes in his and he did not mind them being cleaned.
If you are worried please consult your vets.

Emma x

His ears are black. There's no smell that i can detect, although my sense of smell doesn't work so well. I'll have Hubby give them a whiff when he gets home and see what he thinks of it, LOL! Buzz isn't tilting his head or anything. So maybe he's just a normal dirty boy? LOL! I'll try gently cleaning them with some ear cleaner and see what I find. I'll give the vet a call in the morning if I think it's more than just dirt.

I've had animals for pretty much my whole life, so I usually know how to respond to various situations, but I haven't had guinea pigs since I was a child. And, sad to say, those piggies probably didn't get the best of care. It's so much easier to find information nowadays, and we know so much more about them then we used to. I've currently got 5 dogs, 7 cats, 2 rats (LOVE rats!), 2 piggies, a rabbit, and a bearded dragon. They are certainly a lot of work, and I think my vet loves me making his truck payments for him (LOL!), but they are a lot of fun and I wouldn't trade them for the world!

Your hands are full! I would love a Beardy but I think if I can have something now I would be an African Pygmy Hedgehog or a Female Shar-Pei, to keep Chance company.
If you are worried definately take him to the vets, for a good once over.

Emma x

Yes, my hands are full! On top of the total of 18 animals, there's also a 5 year old and a husband in the mix!

My beardie is pretty neat. He's another rescue case (most of my animals seem to find me and come from a bad situation). The people who had him weren't feeding him properly and "lost interest" in hiim. They also physically mistreated him because they thought it was funny when he'd swing his tail around to try to protect himself. So they gave him to a rescue (actually a piggie rescue). I knew the lady and she promptly called me to see if I wanted him, as she really didn't know how to take care of him and knew I'd had one before. So Louie came to live with me. I've had him for around 3 years now. He still hates people but I can handle him enough to do routine care. It's easier with a lizard since they just sit around a lot!

We've got a rule in place now, no more animals. We're got all the budget can take as far as food and vet go!

Does the black stuff look like black pepper?

I'm not 100% if it's the same in piggies as dogs n cats but "black pepper" in their ears usually indicates mites :)

Saying that i would imagine your piggy would be scratching or his ears would be inflamed - could it be wax that has gotten dirty if they weren't being kept cared for properly? :-\

No it's not ear mites. Having rescued countless cats, I've seen that a million times! It's just a bunch of crust. Hubby will be home in a bit and he'll help hold him so I can get a better look. It's hard for one person to hold an uncooperative piggie AND get a good look in the ears!

i would say buzz has wax in his ears especially if he was neglected by his previous owners. would check bessie's ears too to play it safe. as for them not liking being touched, try talking to them softly, offer them their favourite food in your hand, eventually hopefully they may come around. take it nice and slow. good luck hugs and cuddles to you, buzz, and bessie and your mini zoo. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

yeah, it's wax or dead skin, so a good old clean out is required! O0 if that doesn't work, you could try otodex eardrops. that's what i use for bluebell, as she has really waxy ears and it can't be cleaned out any other way O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back