• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

crusties?

• Thread starter Thread starter xxluckxx
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xxluckxx

hey guys , i just got 2 new pigs and i noticed the "fancy" one has a sore or crusty build up in its hair we washed the crusty off and what was left is a white scab/sore. I realize my 1st mistake here was buying from a pet store but they have a 30 day guarantee were they will pay for vet's so i am going to go to the vet i was just wondering if you guys knew anything about this . thx for you time

Does it smell? If so its a possible abscess. Be careful the pet shop don't make you return the pig, it is yours :)

Welcome to the forum from us in OZ :)
Sorry i can't help you, i'd def go to the vets to get them to check it out for you O0
Good luck, let us know how you go :)
We'll have our paws crossed for your little piggie :smitten:

yes he does smell worse than the other one and you i'm sure the pet store is going to try to exchange it but that isn't going to happen . poop now i have to look up abscess ^-^

Dont let them take him off you! One of mine has had 3 abscesses and as long as you're willing to put the time and effort into cleaning the wound up daily he'll be fine soon! x

You need to get yourself a syringe (no needle :) ) from the vets, and a canula (blue) and flush it out x2 daily. Guinea should also have Antibiotics with all those toxins floating about (if thats what it is LOL!) and a probiotic (Bio Lapis or Avipro from your vet).

What ever you do dont let the pet shop take your piggy!

Just out of interest are they boars or sows and where was the flaky build up?

As there is a scab under the crusting,could be mites/or a combination of mites/fungal.Chrissie at GG will advise she is very knowledgeable about piggy skin problems.GG sell extremely good,chemical free,shampoos and melts which do work.

If there are mites you will need a vet for some Zeno 450 Ivermectin capsules.These are topical and easy to use.Do not let the vet give a painful Ivermectin injection.

well guys i just talked to the pet store and they said to take it to the vet right away and they will pay for it ( very good news ) bad news is we found another sore that looks allot worse than the original one because it is open, but whatever it takes piggy will be fixed O0 and thx for the info on the ivermectin injection good to know especially since there new to us and we want to cause as little trauma as possible. We will let you guys know what the vet said tomorrow , and thank you for all the informative posts this forum is way better than my typical poker forum were they all swear at each other lol and dazie they are sows (well as long as i got my sexing right >:D ) and the sore is above the belly about an inch under the backbone <<< wow terrible description

hey guys just got home from the vet and it turned out to be a infected bite , it is a obvious diagnosis once the crazy hair was cut and the sore cleaned up. Thx for everything and I'm sure my next stupid question will be coming soon O0

Oh love it wasn't a stupid question :)
The only way you learn is to ask questions and read up on the info, well done on you for asking O0
Gosh poor little piggie OUCH an infected bite thank goodness you noticed so quickly :(
What did they give you for the bite love, antibiotics? if so you need to give the piggie some probiotics as well for their little tummies as they get upset real easy with antibiotics.
Good luck we'll have our paws crossed that the bite heals up quickly :)
Must've been bitten whilst at the pet store :'( :'(

Well done for keeping your piggie, asking questions, and getting her fixed! O0

No question is a stupid question! Thats what we are here for! ;)

Not stupid at all, that could have turned into a nasty abscess and they are no fun. I have a boar at the moment who has the tiniest of abscesses but it won't shift and until then Jenny refuses to castrate him- so not good if he needed surgery as an emergency ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back