Crunch sticks?

MissLee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello piggy pals! Recently I've bought my Skinny pig, Edwin these tasty looking Crunch Sticks for bordom and dentalhealth. He's eating them just fine but...under the tasty edible glaze there's a plank of wood? Is this safe for him to be ingesting?almost looks splintering but I'm not sure. He seems to be obsessed with the wood part of the chew... please help 🙏

Attachments

• 20220405_233526.webp
    20220405_233526.webp
    50 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220405_233506.webp
    20220405_233506.webp
    147.5 KB · Views: 8
:wel:

I’m afraid these are not healthy treats and it’s not advised to give them. The ingredients are things which piggies should not eat such as peanuts, millet and honey
Healthy treats are things such as fresh herbs or safe dried forage leaves

The best thing for his health is eating lots of hay or dog pee free fresh grass

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I don’t buy any of those, not healthy just a con to get ppl to buy them, simple hay, nuggets and veggies should be enough

Omg! I'm taking it out of his cage now!

Not your fault - it's their fault for advertising them as suitable for piggies. If it's any reassurance, before I found out I had a pig who loved treats just like that; he had them every so often and no harm came to him. However, I'm definitely not doing that again now that I know better!

Hay is all they need for their teeth, and piles of hay / hay-filled toilet rolls / hay-filled paper bags are great cheap sources of enrichment for them. Does he have a friend? Company of their own kind keeps them entertained best of all :)

Not your fault - it's their fault for advertising them as suitable for piggies. If it's any reassurance, before I found out I had a pig who loved treats just like that; he had them every so often and no harm came to him. However, I'm definitely not doing that again now that I know better!

Hay is all they need for their teeth, and piles of hay / hay-filled toilet rolls / hay-filled paper bags are great cheap sources of enrichment for them. Does he have a friend? Company of their own kind keeps them entertained best of all :)
☹️ he doesn't have a friend. When I got him he didn't get along with his pen mates and had terrible scratches and a skin condition that I had to take care of...I spend hours with him everyday and he seems "happy" ill probably make a post asking for suggestions

It's definitely not your fault. There are unfortunately lots of things which are sold as being suitable but sadly arent.
As I say, things such as fresh herbs (although parsley and dill are higher in calcium so should not be given regularly) make good treats

He will be much happier with a friend (sadly no amount of human contact is enough) but any bond comes down to character compatibility so finding the right friend is important.
You say cage mateS (plural) - if he was kept with more than one other boar, then that may well be part of the problem - boars can only be kept in pairs, and having any more than two together will cause fights.
If you do make another post in the correct forum section, then we will advise you further on how to go about getting a friend for him

Back