• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Critical care

Lauren138

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all

I haven’t ever had to use this but have a sow getting spayed on Wednesday and want to make sure I have some in if needed. Is there a best brand to use or any anyone would recommend?

Thanks 🙏🏼

This forum has been such a great place for info the last few weeks

I have never (yet) needed to use any. I have burgess dual care on standby as it can be given as pellets too. That way, if it's near the use by date, it won't be wasted.
As far as I'm aware it doesn't matter which brand is used.

Critical care is a specific brand, made by oxbow.
EmerAid is another brand of recovery feed.
Mushed pellets is the emergency alternative.

Hi all

I haven’t ever had to use this but have a sow getting spayed on Wednesday and want to make sure I have some in if needed. Is there a best brand to use or any anyone would recommend?

Thanks 🙏🏼

This forum has been such a great place for info the last few weeks

Emeraid is usually better accepted taste-wise compared to the Critical Care brand (however any of them you can get hold of will do). It is what I prefer in a real battle but it is a lot more expensive and short-lived so I would only order it if you are really dealing with a severe or total loss of appetite.

You cannot use additional probiotics at the same time with already enriched Emeraid (but you can with Critical Care). However, poo soup is always OK and is more effective than any powders; the more the shorter the gap between dropping healthy poos and syringing the water in which they have been shortly soaked is and you can do it up to 3 times a day.

I have written a new guide about improvising feeding support (ask the clinic for some extra syringes; especially unused cat metacam syringes) to help bridge the gap until you can get the proper stuff when really needed. Quite a few of our long term regular owners follow the same practice; especially now that next day delivery is an option.
Also ask your vets when you collect her post-op how soon you can step in with painkiller support at home as soon as possible. You need to wait until post-op cocktail has faded because analgesics are a major part of it and try to come home with some until you are seen for a post-op check on the following day.

All the best with the op.

Thanks so much for the essential info 🙏🏼🙏🏼

For all the practical feeding advice re. willing and unwilling guinea pigs with pictures and videos please see our comprehensive medicating and feeding guide with all the how-to info. We are of course always there for all the unforeseeable little questions that inevitably come up and for moral support:

Back