• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Critical Care Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a quick question on critical care, what should the consistancy be like. When I've made it for Cuzzy I've used 1 table spoon of it with 1.5 tablespoons of water. I'm feeding him every 2 hours (maximum dose per day of 35ml) but when I try and feed through a seringe it is too thick should I water it down a little so it fits through the hole or feed off a spoon?

Also should I give veggies ontop of critical care? Cuzzy is on antibiotics for a URI and has so far had 2 lots of critical care, has nibbled a carrot and a little bit of cucumber and has had 2 small romaine leaves. I don't want to over do the veggies because of the antibiotics but at the same time I want to encourage him to eat. Is this ok or should I just give critical care?

Thanks and sorry to harp on cc is new to me. :)

Louise
x

If he'll feed off a spoon then go for it. You are doing the right thing by tempting him with veggies - this will encourage him to eat normally.

To give you an idea, piggies need 6g of dry food (so dry CC) per 100g of body weight per day. What type of syringe are you using? I normally use a 1ml with the tip cut off like on this page here - http://www.guinealynx.com/handfeeding.html. If you find the mixture is just a bit too thick then you can water it down a little more - it does absorb water very fast.

erm.. i used to make it fairly thick to keep the teeth working, if that makes sense and feed it off a spoon if he will take it like that.. i always fed veggies on top if they can eat them mine had cc because of dental problems though..

if he's eating veg ok then make sure he gets plenty, i wasnt aware feeding too much veg when on antibiotics was a problem? ive never seen any difference with my guys anyways ?

Thanks guys,

I just thought if they werre on antibiotics it may cause tummy upset with too much veg. Probably just me being over cautious as usual. :)

I love the smell of cc actually it's very herbal! :) Will keep tempting cuzzy with a bit of veg every so often, he seems to pick up after his cc which is good. :)

Louise
x

I use a nerofen syringe to feed CC they are perfect. They come in the box when you buy childrens liquid nerofen ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back