Critical Care Fine Grind?

A Guinea Pig

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What is better? Fine grind or just the regular critical care? I think I might get fine grind since it might be easier to push through a syringe or do I want just the regular so they have to digest it even more (probably no difference). They don’t have different ingredients so I am just wondering. :)

What is better? Fine grind or just the regular critical care? I think I might get fine grind since it might be easier to push through a syringe or do I want just the regular so they have to digest it even more (probably no difference). They don’t have different ingredients so I am just wondering. :)
I use burgess dual care for syringe feeding. The piggies like it which helps.

I find the fine grind easier to syringe which means usually more success in getting enough into the piggie at each sitting. I’ve tried all of them though including mushed pellets - what piggie liked one day they didn’t the next 😬. I also had success with Burgess Dual Care.

I usually use Emeraid (Blue Packet) the fine grind (Red packet) is really smooth but good if your piggie is really poorly

Do you have a poorly guinea pig in need of syringe feeding? If not then I wouldn't bother buying any critical care as it has a shelf life you will need to keep an eye on and it seems a waste of money and product to just throw something away unopened. At the end of the day if there is a delay between a guinea pig getting ill and being able to get your hands on critical care then mushed up pellets can be used as an alternative. To be honest, mushed up pellets were my preference anyway as you always have them in (and in date), it's familiar food to the piggies and it's much cheaper

Do you have a poorly guinea pig in need of syringe feeding? If not then I wouldn't bother buying any critical care as it has a shelf life you will need to keep an eye on and it seems a waste of money and product to just throw something away unopened. At the end of the day if there is a delay between a guinea pig getting ill and being able to get your hands on critical care then mushed up pellets can be used as an alternative. To be honest, mushed up pellets were my preference anyway as you always have them in (and in date), it's familiar food to the piggies and it's much cheaper

No guinea pig is sickly. I am just wondering so that I know ahead of time if I need some.

No guinea pig is sickly. I am just wondering so that I know ahead of time if I need some.
When I have been syringe feeding I would generally get up and put some pellets in a tub with hot water from the kettle while making my cuppa. Leave it to cool and then use as needed. If it needs to be made more palatable then adding some herbs or if weight loss is an issue then some oats can help regain the loss

:agr:

I use pellets as an emergency syringe feed.
I don’t and won’t keep critical care in my emergency kit because it has a best before date in it. Therefore I could go to need it and find it shouldn’t be used which would be a waste of money. So I use pellets in an emergency and then
if needed I’d get critical care at that point.

Critical care and such like are very pricey and have limited shelf life, so like most of the others, my first resort would be to use blitzed up pellets with water and only invest in a recovery feed when I needed it. You can usually get it from your vets or next day from Amazon if needed in an emergency.

I don't buy it in just to have it in an emergency I use pellets first until I can get the syringe food. I mostly use Burgess Dual Care which comes in pellet form in individual sachets. Sometimes you only need to syringe feed for a day or two and you've opened a bag of food that you can't keep for long. The Burgess can be kept longer unopened, and because it's not a powder it's a pellet you can mix it with their normal pellets and use it up if the date is running out.

Back