Critical Care brands?

Sunnyandbutch

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I am trying to make a emergency kit for my guinea pigs and critical care is one of the key things that I should have on hand. Do you guys recommend a specific brand or flavor? Thanks!

In all honesty, using a piggy’s normal pellets and mushing them with water is the emergency measure if you don’t have or until you can get critical care.
The issue is, if you buy critical care to keep in a kit, it could have gone past its best before date before you need to use it. Therefore, with pellets almost always on hand, it can be best to use those and then buy critical care as you need it.
This is certainly what I do. While critical care has a slightly higher fibre content, mushed pellets have the benefit of being a familiar taste and often piggies accept it easily

I use Burgess Dual Care, it's pellets but with all the extras of a recovery food that melt easily in water to syringe feed. I've found mine prefer the taste and any left over sachets going out of date can be mixed in the normal pellets and used up.
My vet recommends Science Recovery Plus.

I always keep critical care on hand - several packs - because I find it hard to come by in a pinch. I order it from Amazon. Depending on whether or not your vet stocks it and what hours your vet are open you may find that you prefer to keep some on hand as well. I prefer to keep it on hand because then it's readily available anytime - I've found emergencies to happen at inconvenient times. Piggies are good at that! Just keep an eye on the use by date and replace as needed. Soaked/mashed pellets are a fine substitute if you don't have any CC on hand, but I find the CC much easier to syringe.

For piggies that need it longer term I've tried different flavors. I've relied primarily on Oxbow. My piggies hate the aniseed flavor, but like the apple/banana flavor and the fine grind (papaya flavor). I have one piggy who prefers Science Selective recovery plus. My piggies don't seem to like Emeraid. But every pig is different as far as their preferences.

I had Science Selective Recovery Plus which my vet recommended in my first aid kit but it went out of date before I needed to use it so now I rely on mushed up pellets in an emergency

Hi! I am trying to make a emergency kit for my guinea pigs and critical care is one of the key things that I should have on hand. Do you guys recommend a specific brand or flavor? Thanks!

Hi

Here are our first aid kit tips:
First Aid Kit: Easily available non-medication support products for an emergency
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Which product you prefer is down to you. Critical care for herbivores is better for an emergency as it is easier to store and keep. Emeraid may be better for an acute crisis but it doesn't keep as well and is best ordered freshly.
In a pinch you can always make mushed up pellets until your order arrives.

Back