Creating Neighbours with Pairs

Abisquartet

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Evening all,

I’m posting in relation to creating a neighbour situation with my two pairs of boars. Toffee and Domino were previously a pair but had a fight which ended up in cuts on Toffee’s back and mouth. They’ve since been separated and now live happily in two separate pairs.

They’re currently in C&C cages, one above the other, and each 5x2. I’ve attached pictures of their current setup.

I’m moving soon and I want to create one level with a separator. They would each probably end up with a 4x3 C&C cage although possibly more as I haven’t done the measuring properly.

My question is, would I be able to create a large 8x3 C&C cage with a separation in the middle for the two pairs to live side by side? I only ask because of the fight Toffee and Domino previously had and I don’t know if creating this neighbour situation would cause more aggravation or if being separated they’d be fine because they still had their own separate “territories” as they’re now each the dominant pig in their new pairs.

If it’s fine, does anyone have any advice on how to slowly introduce them to the new living situation? Is it the same as introducing them to a new pig in that we’d need to cover the separator and slowly lift it etc? Would their new pairs be safe or would there be a danger that Toffee or Domino could turn on their partner out of frustration for not getting at each other?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ❤️

Attachments

• BEC911E1-B8D3-41C0-BF82-2EFE7DCB0E1F.webp
    BEC911E1-B8D3-41C0-BF82-2EFE7DCB0E1F.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1E1ED675-261F-467B-AE08-B3898AABCFF4.webp
    1E1ED675-261F-467B-AE08-B3898AABCFF4.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 7
A divider should be fine. But given the nature of the relationship between Toffee and Domino, you may need to cover the divider with something. But as they’re in their pairs, they should hopefully be okay living as neighbours.

When you move them to their new cage, use dirty bedding from the old setup so the move doesn’t cause too much of a disruption.

A divider should be fine. But given the nature of the relationship between Toffee and Domino, you may need to cover the divider with something. But as they’re in their pairs, they should hopefully be okay living as neighbours.

When you move them to their new cage, use dirty bedding from the old setup so the move doesn’t cause too much of a disruption.

Thank you! Is there anything you’d recommend for covering the cage? When they originally had their fight we cable tied tea towels to a separator but they made short work of that and were able to rag it out of the way!

I would start off with 95% of the shared wall grids covered with cardboard.
We did this with a cage aggressive pig, and attatched the cardboard to the grids with cable ties.
When she chewed it off we just replaced it.

Over time we slowly removed more and more of the cardboard, until there was none left and she accepted having a shared wall with her neighbours.

Back