• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cranberry Juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Does cranberry juice help urinary problems in guinea pigs like it does in humasn?

Yes it can in some instances help to clear the bladder.,the problem is that it is difficult to get cranberry juice that has no added sugar or sweeteners.

A health food shop may have a pure juice,bu this may need to be diluted. I have not tried the juice on a piggy myself as I have not had a case of cystitis for 3 years(famous last words, I will probably find all my sows sqeeking as they pee now!) but I have read on the forum that other members have had sone success with this.Worth a try anyway.

What are the piggies symptoms,and is it a boar or sow>?
Any pig with suspected UTI needs lots of extra water anyway,give this with a syringe.If you do try the cranberry,give that by syringe as well,do not put it in the drinking water .

That had crossed my mind but you can get unsweetened juices or even make you own O0

Well my two sheltie sows always have damp hair around there bums. It is trimmed regularily but i have noticed that i is kind of hard and looks like it is stuck together
with crystals.
I havent noticed any squeeking when they wee, just don't know why the hair is all stuck together with these crystals?

I have used the human cystitis medicine with success in the past too. I buy Boot's own sachets. Unfortunately they do contain sugar too :(

Do the girls drink very much?,I think it is possible they are not getting enough fluid.Some pigs are rather naughty with this.If I have a piggy that I know is not drinking much,I give water by syringe several times a day and feed a lot of veg with high water content, ie: cucumber,celery etc/. Something else you could do is when you wash the veg under a running tap,do not shake the excess water off,this will provide a surprising amount of extra fluid.

If I have long haired pigs that are always getting soiled at the back,I trim the hair quite short to stop it dragging on the floor and into urine.

Try the extra fluid for a few days and let us know what happens.

One drinks loads, the other not so much!

I trim it fairly short, need someone to give me a hand to get it really neat around the bum though, going to employ my little sister tomorrow ;D

I will it give it a go, thanks for the advice!

maryh said:
Some pigs are rather naughty with this.
I guess they are just like us. I certainly don't always drink enough water. Somehow I don't have that problem with wine ;D

I get actual cranberries from the supermarket, stick them in the blender then syringe some into affected piggy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back