• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cranberry Juice - dosage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey - sorry if this has been asked numerous times (did a quick search but couldn't find an answer). Need to treat a urine infection in Belle and have bought some undiluted, unsweetened cranberry juice from a health shop.

Can anyone advise how much should we give her and how often?

Thanks.

She really needs to go to the vets, one to diagnose she has a UTI and two for treatment. :)

Vets had already been consulted and appropriate treatment started.

I have heard re: cranberry from a few sources - this forum included ! I just hoped it may help her as a natural treatment also. Any reason why the negative views on cranberry (obviously not talking about the supermarket bought stuff!)

Thanks for the responses though.

It is just better to go to the vets and have treatment, which is more effective. I have heard of cranberry juice being used, however, medication will help make a better and quicker recovery. :)

Cornflake said:
Vets had already been consulted and appropriate treatment started.

I have heard re: cranberry from a few sources - this forum included ! I just hoped it may help her as a natural treatment also. Any reason why the negative views on cranberry (obviously not talking about the supermarket bought stuff!)

Thanks for the responses though.

It is fine as long as it's pure without added sugar and no artificial sweeteners. The reason that people were commenting on it was that people are often known to use it as an all-in-one cure for UTIs when it's really just a mild preventative. These infections are very easily cleared with a mild antibiotic like Bactrim/Septrin.

Septrin is the ab of choice for utis but most vets give baytril for all things....

You can give diluted cranberry to help flush the system, also you can give oasis(or another sodium cytrate brand) throughout the day too. Make it up as per the instructions and then syringe thorughout the day, start a new sachet every 24 hours as it starts to degrade :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back