covers on or off in the day?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
so at the moment the temperature where i live has been anywhere from 10-15 degrees in the day, dropping lower and lower to about 6 degrees at night. my girls hutch is kept in a shed but obviously i’m still worried about them being cold, they get there snugglesafe at night as well as big bundles of hay, they have a thermal cover on the back part of the hutch and back wall/sides of the run (the front run bit doesn’t have a cover, this is where they are currently living as they haven’t sussed the ramp yet lol) so we also cover them the run up with a thick mattress topper as well as a heavy duty polythene sheet over the top. because its been under 15 degrees in the day, i’ve been leaving both the duvet and plastic sheeting over them, with the door shut, but this means there not getting any light and i’m also concerned about not getting fresh air? am i really over thinking this and they will just be fine with the door shut covers off in the day and then back on with duvet for bedtime?

Do you have a thermometer in there? That is the only way to know what is really happening.
I wouldn’t think they need the covers on during the day now though if the doors are shut

Do you have a thermometer in there? That is the only way to know what is really happening.
I wouldn’t think they need the covers on during the day now though if the doors are shut

i do, one on the wall and one next to the hutch, not sure if i should put it under the covers to get a more accurate reading? the one on the wall reads it as only 1-2 degrees warmer than the temperature my phone tells me it is. so if its 10 degrees outside, its only 11 or 12 degrees in the shed.

At 12 degrees, then I wouldn’t have covers on but I would keep the door shut to make sure they aren’t in draughts

okay thanks! i just get so worried, also i really feel the cold so every time i go out i think they must be freezing lol!

Are you cold when you are in the shed?
Do your piggies feel warm when you touch them?

I would put a thermometer under the covers. Its useful to know what is actually going on under there as well.

A lot of it is going to come down to your shed, if it isn’t staying much warmer than outside (I know you’re not insulated yet) than my concern would not be now but would be what is going to happen in winter. You’re only going to know with time.
Of course insulation doesn’t provide heat, it only traps the heat inside but without a heat source in there things may not improve. I unfortunately don’t have a heat source in my shed but it’s positioning works wonders for me, even the tiniest bit of sun even mid winter and it gets warm. I can get use that to trap heat in the hutch with the covers from around 2-3pm in winter.

Are you cold when you are in the shed?
Do your piggies feel warm when you touch them?

I would put a thermometer under the covers. Its useful to know what is actually going on under there as well.

A lot of it is going to come down to your shed, if it isn’t staying much warmer than outside (I know you’re not insulated yet) than my concern would not be now but would be what is going to happen in winter. You’re only going to know with time.
Of course insulation doesn’t provide heat, it only traps the heat inside but without a heat source in there things may not improve. I unfortunately don’t have a heat source in my shed but it’s positioning works wonders for me, even the tiniest bit of sun even mid winter and it gets warm. I can get use that to trap heat in the hutch with the covers from around 2-3pm in winter.

it feels colder late at night when we go out but tonight is (hopefully🤞🏻) the last night of that. they feel warm when i touch them yes, okay will try that tonight!

right i see!

I'm taking the overnight blankets off in the morning and leaving the thermal cover and the waterproof cover on during the day at the moment. The waterproof cover has a clear front so if it's a dull/windy/wet day I leave the front down so I can have the shed door open but cut down any draughts getting into the hutch. My boar pair feel warm to the touch most of the time but if they feel cool I stuff more hay in or put a blanket back over just the top. Kevin always has cold ears, takes after me 🤣

I'm taking the overnight blankets off in the morning and leaving the thermal cover and the waterproof cover on during the day at the moment. The waterproof cover has a clear front so if it's a dull/windy/wet day I leave the front down so I can have the shed door open but cut down any draughts getting into the hutch. My boar pair feel warm to the touch most of the time but if they feel cool I stuff more hay in or put a blanket back over just the top. Kevin always has cold ears, takes after me 🤣

thanks for your reply! are yours in a shed in a hutch too? bless them, how cute!🥰

thanks for your reply! are yours in a shed in a hutch too? bless them, how cute!🥰
Yes, my two are in a shed in a hutch. My plan is to keep reducing the layers as the weather gets warmer - trying to be optimistic while we all shiver! I've had them for 10 months so I'm still learning what keeps them comfortable.

Yes, my two are in a shed in a hutch. My plan is to keep reducing the layers as the weather gets warmer - trying to be optimistic while we all shiver! I've had them for 10 months so I'm still learning what keeps them comfortable.

bless! yes its hard to know what is best for them isn’t it! is your shed insulated?

bless! yes its hard to know what is best for them isn’t it! is your shed insulated?
My shed isn't insulated yet, I'm planning to do that for next winter. I think having the hutch sheltered from the weather made a difference, keeping it dry especially. It also means I can spend more time with them as I'm protected from the weather too!

My shed isn't insulated yet, I'm planning to do that for next winter. I think having the hutch sheltered from the weather made a difference, keeping it dry especially. It also means I can spend more time with them as I'm protected from the weather too!

definitely!

Back