covering a ramp

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
people who have a ramp in their piggies cage/hutch, what have you used on it to help prevent them from sliding and give them a bit if grip? i’ve looked at carpet, but wasn’t sure if it would be machine washable and i can only find huge lengths of it to buy for £40+. i’ve also looked at vet bed but again everywhere seems to sell it in huge measurements for a lot of money. would love to see pictures of your ramps too and any recommendations on where i can purchase something is greatly appreciated!

I did use vetbed. I velcro‘d it to the ramp (when we used ramps) simply because it is washable and long lasting
Yes it is expensive, but you can use the remainder as bedding during mid summer, or as bedding indoors if they have to move inside during very hot/cold weather. As they are outside though you wouldnt be able to use it as bedding in cooler temperatures

Ramps in Cages

We bought a rubber doormat from B&Q (link below) and cut the correct size for the ramp. It did all 3 of our ramps and is grippy enough that you don't need to glue it in place so you can remove it easily for cleaning. All 7 of our piggies use the ramps now that we have this in place.

Ours are indoor C&C cages so the ramps have sides, not sure what style your ramps are so you may need to glue or staple it in place.

B&Q Grey Rubber Door mat (L)0.45m (W)0.75m | DIY at B&Q

I use a bathmat cut to size but I would imagine a doormat would work too as some of them are similar material to carpet

I did use vetbed. I velcro‘d it to the ramp (when we used ramps) simply because it is washable and long lasting
Yes it is expensive, but you can use the remainder as bedding during mid summer, or as bedding indoors if they have to move inside during very hot/cold weather. As they are outside though you wouldnt be able to use it as bedding in cooler temperatures

Ramps in Cages

thankyou! oh no so no vet bed outside?

We bought a rubber doormat from B&Q (link below) and cut the correct size for the ramp. It did all 3 of our ramps and is grippy enough that you don't need to glue it in place so you can remove it easily for cleaning. All 7 of our piggies use the ramps now that we have this in place.

Ours are indoor C&C cages so the ramps have sides, not sure what style your ramps are so you may need to glue or staple it in place.

B&Q Grey Rubber Door mat (L)0.45m (W)0.75m | DIY at B&Q

fabulous thanks! did you leave the ‘steps’ on the ramp uncovered or did you just do the whole thing?

I never replaced mine. Luckily it lasted the year or so it was in their cage though.

I never replaced mine. Luckily it lasted the year or so it was in their cage though.

will be on the hunt! does it have to be specific carpet? did you put it over the ‘steps’ on the ramp too or just the whole way up? how did you attach it?

I used Velcro to attach the vetbed. I put it on all of the ramp, over the little steps.
I just pull it off, pop in machine

I used Velcro to attach the vetbed. I put it on all of the ramp, over the little steps.
I just pull it off, pop in machine

fabulous! i’m thinking either carpet off cuts / tiles or vet bed, think i’m siding towards vet bed more just because it can be washed! me being stupid thought i could only buy in metre lengths (which where like £40) but i’ve just seen you can buy pre-cut mats!

This was an indoor ramp so not the same as hutch ramps. I stuck it on using carpet tape.

Hi. My boys have never weed or pooped on their ramp so I think that it wouldn’t get really grubby. The bottom inch of the ramp does get damp so I wouldn’t go right to the bottom with whatever you choose.

fabulous thanks! did you leave the ‘steps’ on the ramp uncovered or did you just do the whole thing?
Our ramp was flat and just had a sandpaper like surface for grip, the piggies hated it. This is what one of them looks like now. It is well used as you can tell from the hay all over it.
IMG20220421133448.webp

so would you all say its best to completely cover the ramp rather than do squares in each of the sections between the ‘stairs’? i’ve attached a picture from google of the ramp so you can see what i am referring too…

Attachments

• E1B182F0-137B-435C-8838-04D5DB41068B.webp
    E1B182F0-137B-435C-8838-04D5DB41068B.webp
    29.5 KB · Views: 6
so would you all say its best to completely cover the ramp rather than do squares in each of the sections between the ‘stairs’? i’ve attached a picture from google of the ramp so you can see what i am referring too…

I would say yes cover the whole thing - that’s what I did with mine. Much easier to put on in the first place and easier remove the whole thing in one go and wash!

Yes I know what you mean. It might do but you may be able to put something on the side to make more of a banister?

yes it’s grippy. (when I did use ramps) My boys wouldn’t use the ramp without it on.

Yes I know what you mean. It might do but you may be able to put something on the side to make more of a banister?

yes it’s grippy. (when I did use ramps) My boys wouldn’t use the ramp without it on.

yeah maybe! will see!

that’s brilliant thankyou, i do like the idea of carpet but just worried about not being able to wash it and it not been as soft on their little feet!

Ramps in Cages

hiya sorry to jump back on this thread but currently looking at double sided velcro and it all says don’t use on fabric! can you remember where you bought yours from?

I can’t remember, but probably Amazon, but vetbed probably isn’t the kind of fabric it means. It works well on mine anyway

Back