Courgette Flowers

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A family member has given me some courgette plants they've started off. I have never grown them before but have grown cucumbers and was reading up on the removal of 'male' flowers in regards to courgettes. I stumbled across the fact we can eat the flowers, male flowers a best for it and this had me thinking, could pigs eat the flowers too?

Not sure about piggies (although all of mine did love rose petals as an occasional treat) but you should eat them.
They are delicious and a bit of an expensive delicacy!

Don't take them off the plants too soon though or you won't get any courgettes, the male plants are needed to fertilise the female ones.
I had some with my salad tonight they were delicious, almost worth growing courgettes just for the flowers!

A family member has given me some courgette plants they've started off. I have never grown them before but have grown cucumbers and was reading up on the removal of 'male' flowers in regards to courgettes. I stumbled across the fact we can eat the flowers, male flowers a best for it and this had me thinking, could pigs eat the flowers too?

Hi

As far as know courgettes and courgette flowers are edible for guinea pigs. They are generally not a favourite, though.

Don't take them off the plants too soon though or you won't get any courgettes, the male plants are needed to fertilise the female ones.
I had some with my salad tonight they were delicious, almost worth growing courgettes just for the flowers!
Ok, thanks, I will keep that in mind. I haven't even checked to see how many (Fe)male flowers I have so I should probably do that.

Hi

As far as know courgettes and courgette flowers are edible for guinea pigs. They are generally not a favourite, though.
Thanks Wiebke. Do you know if they dry well to add to dry forage for winter? (If they like them of course).

Back