Could She Be Grieving?

Jennybug89

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just a quick question. So I've had Rosie for two weeks. She's apparently three months old. Up to the day before I got her she was living with her sister. The owner then decided to split them and gave the sister to someone else, and Rosie came to me on her own. Could she possibly be grieving her? She's a great appetite but she's basically silent except for the odd little purr. Just curious as I'm still a newbie

I'd say she's probably lonely, at best, if not actually grieving. Piggies are not wired to live on their own, are you planning on getting her a friend?

I'd say she's probably lonely, at best, if not actually grieving. Piggies are not wired to live on their own, are you planning on getting her a friend?
I am. At the moment she has either ringworm or mange so I need to wait till she's better. I have a new cage on the way for her and her future buddy

Just a quick question. So I've had Rosie for two weeks. She's apparently three months old. Up to the day before I got her she was living with her sister. The owner then decided to split them and gave the sister to someone else, and Rosie came to me on her own. Could she possibly be grieving her? She's a great appetite but she's basically silent except for the odd little purr. Just curious as I'm still a newbie

Yes, she will be grieving and is very likely feeling lonely. Guinea pigs are no wired to live on their own; they are social group animals. Switzerland is sadly so far still the only country where it is illegal to keep guinea pigs and other social animals like rabbits etc. on their own.
Companionship
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Here are lots more tips for new owners on a wide range of subjects. Our guide collection covers the most often encountered problem areas and combines them with some very important need-to-know information to minimise trouble in the long term.
You may find it very helpful: New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice

Yes, she will be grieving and is very likely feeling lonely. Guinea pigs are no wired to live on their own; they are social group animals. Switzerland is sadly so far still the only country where it is illegal to keep guinea pigs and other social animals like rabbits etc. on their own.
Companionship
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Here are lots more tips for new owners on a wide range of subjects. Our guide collection covers the most often encountered problem areas and combines them with some very important need-to-know information to minimise trouble in the long term.
You may find it very helpful: New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice
Thank you, I've read through those threads already but I said I'd just double check here as it technically wasn't a death but I guess she doesn't know that. I was supposed to be taking both of them but the woman decided the night before to give the sister to her niece

Back