Could it just be a bad day? (Dominance behaviour)

J&C2023

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

I got my two boars coming up to 3 weeks ago, they were both 8 weeks when we got them. Over the last few weeks I haven't had any issues with them. I have often found them hiding together in their hay box. Over the last week I have seen Chandler rumble strut which I think aggravated Joey because he immediately chased him. My husband has seen Joey chase Chandler a couple of times.

Tonight things changed, there was a lot of teeth chattering and chasing. It is always Joey who chases Chandler. Things keep calming down and as soon as Chandler tries to approach the hay box, the teeth chattering begins again.

We have now reorganized the cage and made another hay box. I have taken away the two hides that only had one entrance and exit, and both hay boxes have two exits in them. I have been sat watching them and Chandler has taken well to the new hay box, but every so often Joey will leave his hay box and chase Chandler out of his.

My husband has read that as long as they don't fight and draw blood then they need to be left to sort things out for themselves, is this right? He also said that he is going to expand their cage so they have more space.

Could today just be a bad day? The idea of them hurting each other really upsets me. I knew that there would be falling out but I didn't expect it so soon.

Your husband is right, unless they actually fight you don't need to seperate. There are threads about cage size and boar behaviours but I don't know how to link. I will call on @Lorcan to please assist.

Cage Size Guide

Guide to Boar Behaviour

Bonds in trouble - don't let this one panic you, it's something to be mindful of but it's also not necessarily what your boys are going through right now. The goblins are frequently teeth chattering at each other, or rumbling, squealing (actually that's mostly Cam), but it's because they keep winding each other up. They won't stop doing it and it's not something I'm worried about, just groaning at them to pipe it down occasionally.

They are officially at the start of their teens at 16 weeks of age but the reality is dominance and hormones can start a bit earlier than that. It is normal and to be expected. They reach the peak of hormone output around 6 months and settle down around 18 months.
Yes, unless they fight then leave them to get on with it. They need to be able to form a functioning hierarchy between them and chasing, rumbling, chattering are all mild dominance that they will go through their whole lives.

It’s important a teen pair of boars have lots of space and resources. Two of everything and a cage measuring 180x60cm or a 5x2 c&c. Lack of space can cause tensions which can lead to issues.

If you expand their cage, make sure you don’t change the bedding out. Keep old bedding in there and just spread it around or if you use fleece wipe any new fleece with the soiled bedding. This ensures scents are transferred and can aid the process to adjusting into a bigger area. Any cage extensions constitutes new territory and new territory results in another round of dominance so making it so they recognise the smells in the new section as their own can make things much easier.

It is always wise to have a separation plan though so you can step in quickly if needed.
I have a 6 year old pair of boars and always had a plan in mind throughout the whole of their younger lives but luckily never needed it despite some tense moments when they were teens and as young adults.
I also have two boys who are now 15 months old for whom sadly I did need the separation plan. They did fight and have lived side by side since the fight happened at 18 weeks of age.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Back