• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Could it be ringworm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

You'll be pleased to hear that Boris is doing really well following his recent op to remove a bladder stone.

However, I was cuddling him last night and noticed something funny on his skin. On his upper back he has a patch where there is a raised ring (about 1 cm in diameter). The centre of the ring looks slightly bruised. Aside from this there is no sign of flaking/scurf and he doesn't have any other marks.

Do you know what this could be?

Alex x

Could be ringworm yes.,but unusual not to have any flaking.I take it that the hair is gone from the area?.

This maybe one for superwoman Chrissie.If possible send her a pic..

[email protected]

she will be able to tell you whether it is ringworm.,and supply treatment.

As the area is raised it is possible it is a cyst or tumour starting to grow.Rule out ringworm first,and if it does not clear up.a vet visit would be indicated.

I would arm yourself with some Palmers Cocoa Butter or Kamillosan as Gorgeous Guineas are closed until the 2/1. If its Ringworm and flares up thats really nasty, I had a couple of patches a few years ago and when the effect of the cream wears off the irritation is immense.

Another cream that stops irritation but drys the skin (which in turn causes more irritation ::) ) is Daktarin (for athletes foot), I don't use this on guineas now but in an emergency it could be used.

i have Daktarin for my ringworm, could i put a dab above Maisys eye?

I wouldn't, if it drys the skin out it might make her scratch more. I don't know about using close to the eye either. I used it on cheeks for a few days when the Ringworm was really bad but it was very very drying and I stopped using it in the end. When I got Ringworm myself I found the same and ended up using Gorgeous Guineas products so I could have a scratch free nights sleep.

ok well mary has sent me a list of products i can use and asda will probably have a few so I'm going tonight after work O0

Daktarin is fine for hedgehog's snouts, so I think you could use that on a G.P.
There is a rabbit ringworm spray available from petshops too.(C.C.T use it)
Try any athlete's food treatment too.
Alternate different treatments too.
It can hang around for ages so keep on treating.
PatX

Thank you for your advice! To be honest there doesn't seem to be much hair missing in the area of the 'ring.' I just noticed it as I was stroking Boris the other day. Shall use a bit of cream on it and see if that soothes it until GG is open again :)

Hmm. Last night I noticed the bit in the middle of the ring was really sore and looked slightly yellow. I put some germolene cream on it and it has scabbed over The hair came out of it yesterday so poor Boris has a big patch that looks very red.

Germaline is not suitable for piggies,although using it just the once will not have hurt.Calendula cream or kamilosan cream are much safer.

OK Mary - thank you! Shall swap to something more gentle. Thought germalene was gentle on humans but I suppose the natural stuff is best. Don't want to hurt Boris! He's my No1 :smitten:

Hi,
Maisiey N Poppy have a similar problem to your Boris.They also are waiting for GG to reopen.,although they do have some Lavender and Mryhh lotion that is very good.
I advised them to use Nizzoral shampoo and Caneston cream,both available from the chemist,while they are waiting for GG products.The treatment does seem to be working.
In the past,I have used both these products to clear fungal infections in pigs.Aloe vera gel is also slightly antifungal and is soothing.

Maybe you could pm MaisieyNPoppy to compare notes.

yup like Mary said I'm using caneston, Lavender and Mryhh lotion, aloe vera and tea tree and am getting some nizoral shampoo tomorrow :) maisy hasnt been on these for long but i can already see improvements and the ringworm luckly hasnt spread so far which was worrying me the most O0 anyway PM if you want :) i picked up another tube of caneston today froma sda so i didnt run out over xmas and it was £3 so its not bad price O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back