Could It Be His Grease Gland? Or Just Sitting In His Own Wee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leah Jacques

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our babies are now 12 weeks old. We are treating them for ring worm with a wash from the vet. Every 3 days. We have done it three times and one more to do. We are cleaning them out every two days and they are on fleece ( we are putting puppy pads underneath as they seem to be going to the toilet a lot). Onion every time we get him out has a soaking wet bottom. They are still a little nervous although happy to be held they are still very jumpy. We tried taking the house out and just giving them a tube but it is still as bad. He has a dark patch on his bottom so I think it looks worse but I'm still worried about him. They seem happy and are both eating well.
Thanks for your help everyone ( in advance) Leah x

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 12
That amount of wetness is unlikely to be from a grease gland. Does he have diahrroea or are you sure that is jut wee? How are his feet looking if his bum is that wet. It seems a lot of wet! What is their diet? Sorry - so many questions but I would worry if one of mine was that wet.

You could try putting a bit of vet bed where they hide, it is very good for piggies who tend to stay in one place & wee a lot.

Seeing that amount of wetness, I would be weighing every day to see if he is loosing weight. Diarrhoea can be very nasty in guineas so if you have any additional health worries about him at all, I would take advice from your vet again.

Best wishes to you & your piggies - they are very cute :)

I know this is a silly question but did you wash the fleece multiple times before you used it so it wicks? Also is it a non fluffy type fleece? Hope your piggies are ok.

It is a pet fleece and no I didn't wash it but he was the same when on sawdust.
As for their diet they eat pellets, excel ones with blackcurrent. They love pepper, carrots, cucumber, spinach and a little grass. He's eating and drinking.
He is slowly gaining weight I weigh him weekly.
8 weeks 280g (scruffy was 320g)
9 weeks 324g (scruffy 383g)
10 weeks 352g (scruffy 421g)
11 weeks 377g ( scruffy 475g)

Neither have dihorrrea, lots of poo around though.

My vet was next to useless! So may have to try a different vet.
Just very worried again! ( and fed up)

Leah x

Hi, be worth trying a different vet as he could have a urinary tract infection from the symptoms you describe. Classic signs are usually a wet bum, brown or very dark wee and it may smell strong too. Acid from the urine can make the skin under the rear end sore as well. hope this may be of help :)

I'm glad you have done this thread as i was about to post something similiar. The last couple of days i have noticed one of my girls seems to be wet underneath. It def is wee as you can smell it and when i rub her belly to dry it its the colour of wee. I change their bedding daily and so I'm assuming shes weeing then sitting/laying in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back