Could I add a baby sow to my bonded pair?

skatiekatielewis123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya. I have 2 sows currently, both around 10 months old and one is more dominant. They don't fight, but they chase each other a bit and kick each other out of the hides. I'm not sure if they're happy and I think they might benefit from a larger social group.

Someone in my area is selling baby sows (6 weeks), so if I added a baby, could it be a successful trio?

Welcome to the forum

What you are describing is normal dominance behaviour. They are getting on absolutely normally and don’t sound, from what you’ve said, to have bond issues.
If there is further information and issues which give cause for concern for their bond, then do let us know and we can help further

You can add another sow if you wish but it won’t change or stop any behaviours you see now. It won’t make them get on any more than they already do.

A sow trio absolutely can work provided they all want it to and are character compatible. However there is the consideration that a trio can mean one piggy gets left out while two remain close.
If your current do not accept a newcomer into their pairing, which is always a risk when bonding on spec, then you need to be able to have two separate cages and then to get a fourth piggy to bond with the third piggy.

Do you have a large cage? 150x60cm or a 4x2 c&c is recommended for two sows.
For three it needs to be 180x60cm or a 5x2 c&c
Do all hides have two exits? We don’t recommend any single door hides as one piggy can trap the other inside.
Do you have multiple resources? ie at least two hides, two hay piles, two water bottles.

Back