• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Coughing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I might be being paranoid but recently one of my pigs has started coughing occasionally, at least I think he's coughing, he has been known to choke on a bit of carrot when he eats it too fast. Is this something that should go to the vets asap or should I just monitor it for now? I'll be back at home from uni next weekend and he could go to a cavy savvy vet then, the one I use here doesn't see that many cavies. He's eating and playing fine but I would just like a more experienced opinion.

Sooty has started coughing. He;s got a bit better but keeps coughing alot. He's going to the vets tomorrow anyway so I'll ask about it then. I think it can be a symptom when they get a cold not sure.

If they're young it could be "heaving hiccups" check Peter Gurneys site. Whne Pookey was young he did it a lot and I was really worried, but he has grown out of it.

Billie was always making little eating coughs because he was a greedy little pig and couldnt get his food in his mouth fast enough ;D

Does he have any other symptoms? weight loss, crusty eyes, lethargic etc.... If not then it could just be him wolfing his food down to quick, a few of mine do it, worried they might loose it if take their time :)

If it's only happening at certain times, what are you doing at those moments? this might help you rule out allergies etc...

Good Luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back