Cosberg Lettuce?

Little Ones

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Went to the shops today and accidentally picked a bag of mini cosberg lettuce up instead of romaine. Is this okay for them to have? Wasn’t sure since it’s an iceberg lettuce cross. Thanks!

Iceberg is not actually harmful to them - it’s that it has a higher water content and consequently less nutrients than other forms of lettuce. Being a higher water content it might cause diarrhoea.
The fact it is a cross and if you make sure you don’t give them much then it is possibly going to be ok. I would just make sure not to give too many other watery veggies and ensure there is plenty of hay available.

I've made this same mistake, I had purchased it several times to feed mine as it was not labelled an iceberg cross other than tiny small print on the back of the bag, and let's face it..who really reads that! It was only because mine really enjoyed it that I searched the back to see what it was so I could grow some at home that I even discovered it.

So a one off certainly won't do any harm providing you're not giving them lots in one go!

Cosberg is a new commercial cross between iceberg and cos/romaine lettuce; it has less nutrition and more water than romaine but it is not poisonous or anything like that; just mostly water in veg form. Not something I would recommend for a daily feed but as a one-off if that is what you can get, then it will be fine.

Back