Correx ramp help

kessy77

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, new here! Preparing for our first guinea pigs.
I've managed to make our own correx inlays for a C&C cage - but I'm struggling to make a ramp as the sides just don't stay up?

I've scored along the grain if that makes sense but I also tried the other way and it's made no difference. Sides just fall down ?

Or can anyone recconend where I can just buy one relatively cheaply as I've already spent a fortune 😆

Hi and welcome!

Many piggies don't really like ramps and a correx one will be slippery for them. I would recommend getting or making a cloth tunnel to put up the ramp.

My piggies started using the ramp a bit more once I bought a cloth tunnel, it had a felty/fleecy liner in the bottom so they could grip better. The tunnel also means they feel.less exposed and won't fall off the ramp (so you wouldn't need to worry about making correx sides stand up).

Hi and welcome!

Many piggies don't really like ramps and a correx one will be slippery for them. I would recommend getting or making a cloth tunnel to put up the ramp.

My piggies started using the ramp a bit more once I bought a cloth tunnel, it had a felty/fleecy liner in the bottom so they could grip better. The tunnel also means they feel.less exposed and won't fall off the ramp (so you wouldn't need to worry about making correx sides stand up).
One of our piggies was too nervous to go down the ramp for a while, while the other enjoyed morning zoomies up and down. We put a tunnel in at that time, for safety, and now we have carpet, to make it less slippy and more comfortable.

Here and here you can see the bottom of our ramp as it is now (and here the top)

Hi, thanks, I was gping to add fleece/towelling/carpet - it's the making of the basic ramp from correx I'm stuck with as the sides don't sit upright. I'll have a look at the ramps thread too.

Could you buy some type of thinnish wooden right angled strips and glue the correx sides and base to it? B&Q or Homebase might have something like that in the joinery section or beading section

Alternatively if you’ve got any spare grids left over you can bend them into a U shape then put the correx inside. Cable tie them together as you probably need two and also cable tie to the loft grids. My skinny chewed the correx away but hopefully you get the idea!

Attachments

• IMG_6232.webp
    IMG_6232.webp
    103.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks. I dont have any spare but will bare that in mind as it might be the better (more sturdy solution)

Alternatively if you’ve got any spare grids left over you can bend them into a U shape then put the correx inside. Cable tie them together as you probably need two and also cable tie to the loft grids. My skinny chewed the correx away but hopefully you get the idea!
Fab idea thanks

I've got a couple of old bed slats, they're untreated ply or pine I think , was thinking if using these on the sides (cut down) for rigidity then line with the correx and fleece. Does that sound OK? Many thanks for all the help.

They've been using it already, only put it in there an hour ago! Thanks for all the advice. If anyone spots any problems please let me know as 1st time we've kept guinea pigs. The whole cage is 5x3 c&care style, one end is a 3x1 hay 'barn' area (to the RHS of pic under the fleece, they like burrowing in there). The loft is also 3x1

Attachments

• 20231210_161259.webp
    20231210_161259.webp
    71.1 KB · Views: 5
Back