• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Correct septrin dosage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, as most of you know Ralf has had a URI, conjunctivitis and an abscess, took him back the vets today, his eyes are a lot better, his abscess has nearly cleared but his chest is still a bit clicky so she's put him on 1.25mls of septrin twice daily, is this correct? Also, he has another abscess :( right in the middle of one of his rosettes bless him he had to have it shaved off (the rosette i mean) he looks all wonky now! But thankfully its a small one so fingers crossed it heals quickly. thanks x

jnenbnb said:
Hi everyone, as most of you know Ralf has had a URI, conjunctivitis and an abscess, took him back the vets today, his eyes are a lot better, his abscess has nearly cleared but his chest is still a bit clicky so she's put him on 1.25mls of septrin twice daily, is this correct? Also, he has another abscess :( right in the middle of one of his rosettes bless him he had to have it shaved off (the rosette i mean) he looks all wonky now! But thankfully its a small one so fingers crossed it heals quickly. thanks x

I would deffo stick to the dose the Vet said - giving more or less could do some damage.

Glad it looks like the worst is now over - keeping fingers and paws crossed for you O0

Thanks, yes i will stick to the dose if people on here think its correct, they've had more experience with pigs than vets as good as my vet is, it seemed a lot compared to the baytril :-\ also, is he more likely to get an upset tummy from seprtin so i know to get some dioralyte in? he was fine on the baytril x

My two bladder piggies are currently on 1ml twice daily and as poor Ralfie is in such a bad way I suspect the dose is fine. I know when I was first told to give this dose I was horrified by the large quantity, particularly as the usual dose is 0.4ml daily! However, Maryh's vet also confirmed that it is ok to give this type of dose. Neither of mine have had any gut probs, they actually seem to like the banana taste although both hate the syringe, but it wouldn't hurt to get a sachet in just in case. Hope it does the trick.

I would give probiotics. I don't know what else he's had or how big he is etc and he's got a lot going on there. Phone Vedra and have a chat with her.

Thanks, i have probiotics. H eis 2lb 2oz, not very big for a boy but not small i suppose. As i said his eyes are getting better as is the 1st abscess, its just his chest I'm concerned about. He's been on 0.3mls of baytril once a day. She thinks he has a deep infection in his blood or something because he's getting so many infections. But he is so happy in himself and has put on 55g this week, so until he seems in pain or miserable I'm going to keep trying to get him better x

If he starts having loose poos what do i give? Stop all veg, give the probiotics and how much dioralyte? xx

That's brill news that he's gained some weight now O0 Poor little piggy :'( Sending loads of piggy love & kisses :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :-* :-* :-*

Firstly it should be 0.4ml x2 daily I would've thought (at least the x2 daily bit). Get some varieties of hay in for him if he gets a runny tummy, if you have any decnt wild herbage (which I doubt in November) then most types of that can be fed in small amounts, I have Yarrow seeds i n which are excllent but take 6 wheeks to grow before they can be fed so no good to you!
I don't like to stop all veg and just try them and see how it goes- starting with one veg then adding in another to the diet...

Thanks Karen, on top of all his problems i have a suspcion he cant see very well, you'd think he'd be a sorry sight but he's not at all! He eats all the time, not as much veg as the rest but he never has been a big veg eater and he absolutely loves his hay and dried food, he's munching away now. I suppose i just have to take each day as it comes and deal with it then. I thought that about the baytril and mentioned it to her but she said we're best just trying him with septrin now anyway, the baytril was originally to help shift his conjunctivitis but then he got a URI than an abscess. The one on his back looks as if it will heal ok after a few flushes, there's not lump now and there's nothing comeing out of it, the one on his bum needs 2 more days flushing then we can let that heal. His eyes need a couple of days more drops, so at the moment its his chest which is concerning me. Thank God we separated Sephy. xx

I give Baytril at the dose rate of 0.2 twice a day.Septrin 0.3 daily.Septrin is the best antibiotic for respitory and urinary infections.

If you are not doing so already give a vitimin c supplement for at least a wheek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back