Copying older guinea pigs

ishita

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 3.5 year old boar drinks from the water bottle, but my 2 month old one hasn't learned that yet. I'm hoping he'll learn from the older one, as he keeps on flipping over or dipping his paws in the bowls I give him. So do they learn and copy older guinea pigs?

Yes they do learn from older pigs but some things are their own personal preference - for example, he may never want to drink from a bottle and may alway prefer the bowl.
This is why babies should never be alone - they need the guidance and companionship of another piggy. Your youngster is in his school weeks and this is when he is learning about piggy society.

You will find the section about school weeks in this guide

They will learn by watching older and more experienced pigs and it can be quite charming to watch!

It seems my younger piggie has already picked up how to use a water bottle🩷. Thank you!
I have several times introduced a baby pig to an older pig and have seen them watch the older pig intently to see how to use the ramp or the water bottle, with the older pig continually looking over to see if baby pig was paying attention and figuring it out. I've actually had a long line of potty trained pigs because my original boss pig, Linney, was super courteous about going back into the cage to pee and poop. Her companion followed her lead, and then the next baby pig learned from her, and so on down the line. It has saved me a lot of carpet cleaning over the years! LOL!

I have several times introduced a baby pig to an older pig and have seen them watch the older pig intently to see how to use the ramp or the water bottle, with the older pig continually looking over to see if baby pig was paying attention and figuring it out. I've actually had a long line of potty trained pigs because my original boss pig, Linney, was super courteous about going back into the cage to pee and poop. Her companion followed her lead, and then the next baby pig learned from her, and so on down the line. It has saved me a lot of carpet cleaning over the years! LOL!
That's so sweet! It really touched my heart when I saw my younger piggie trusting his older brother so completely and following him around.

Back